Startup Repair -- how long is too long?

Anonymous
2010-03-17T13:27:39+00:00

I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack.  (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)

Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-04T04:23:51+00:00

Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-30T01:57:48+00:00

    my sisters ran for 4 hours and said terminate program then it restarted can someone tell me what to do now and will it affect anything on the laptop (i don't know much about computers and that).

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-07-30T01:59:30+00:00

    I just ran startup repair in Windows 7 and it finished in 5 1/2 hours. My hard drive light mostly just flickered lightly. I was sure nothing was happening but I was very wrong. Success, computer runs better than I can ever remember, superb. I have had this PC for 5+years and it seems to run better than the day I bought it.  Knowing what I know now, I would let Startup Repair run for a very long time. I am discovering little things like the search index are now performing crisply. My original problem was getting my external drive to do a windows 7 system image backup. Now it works and the backup is not only successful but much faster. Previously it backed up for two hours and then issued a (0x8078015B)  error accessing the remote shared folder. I give Windows 7 Service Pack 1 a very high grade. Good Luck.

    that it what happened to my sisters can you tell me what to do know but it restarted and please dumb it down

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-13T07:21:08+00:00

    Gidday, I came back to my computer (an HP haha) after being away for the afternoon, and it was just starting the startup repair.  When given the options system restore or cancel, I chose cancel. After 10 mins I got fed up and turned off my computer by holding down the power button then turned it back on.. I was greeted with the startup repair screen again but this time I chose system restore.

    This is when I came onto this forum using my iphone and started reading up about this problem. Luckily after about half an hour,  the startup repair was complete, I clicked finish, and my laptop restarted itself, this time going to the home page.

    Thought I'd experience my positive experiences for future readers! All the best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-02-16T05:17:22+00:00

    As frustrated as you - new to the PC world, I've used macs for years, and tearing my hair out everytime I have a PC problem. Some systems just work and make sense; some... well are more adopted. Considering the speed with which most computers can access the drive, I think 9 hrs indicates a hang-up. After 20min, my windows 7 returned with an "unspecified" error that it couldn't fix. At least I could then turn the dang thing off.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments