Startup Repair -- how long is too long?

Anonymous
2010-03-17T13:27:39+00:00

I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack.  (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)

Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-04T04:23:51+00:00

Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-09-25T02:31:06+00:00

    Cekbl,

    When Startup repair was running what indication was the hard disk activity giving you? Mine blinks about 8 to 10 times quickly, then lights up for about 3 seconds. It just keeps doing this the whole time. It's been running almost 2 days now. Was your hard disk indicator showing any reading or writing activity for any more than a few seconds?

    Thanks for any response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-12-19T17:57:29+00:00

    How big is your hard drive 500GigaBytes?  1TeraByte?

    i have a 500GigaByte drive that has been at the "Startup Repair" ..... "This might take several minutes...  Attempting Repairs..." for over 12 hours. 

    The harddrive light is on continously ... solid. 

    Is there a rule of thumb that gives us an idea of time required to repair per GigaByte?

    MS: Please delete "This might take several minutes."

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-18T18:58:52+00:00

    This is absolutely ridiculous. What is it doing? Without some kind of feedback how is the user supposed to know especially considering the "several minutes" statement? And there is no real progress bar is there, the thing just keeps moving but there is not a gradual buildup to a complete solid bar.

    Also the only response on this thread that sounds like a Microsoft Rep from A. User/Lorien says the opposite of what the other users say actually happened. I'm sorry but it's just outrageous, I'm holding back from more expressive words.

    If it was designed to actually give SOME indication of progress it may be a little bit more tolerable. It's things like this that makes me wish Microsoft ceases to become the dominant standard. In fact, I may just install Ubuntu if this doesn't work. I may have to run XP in a virtual machine but I see no need to run 7 (supposedly better than Vista?) since it's not so widely adopted.

    (and, of course, it failed.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    20+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-02-24T01:54:39+00:00

    don't shut it down,it may affect the hard drive or hurt it. I was just about to ask for help to when my laptop just finished start up repairing, it took at least 12 hours and it finished. So as long as the progress bar is moving let it be or consequences may arise

    Wow! Good thing I read this, my computer has been on start up repair for about 4 hours now.. that's why I decided to research repair times.  I guess I'll wait it out so I don't damage the HD. Thanx for the info.

    Was this answer helpful?

    100+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments