Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.
Startup Repair -- how long is too long?
I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack. (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)
Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?
Thanks
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Oldest
-
Anonymous
2016-05-28T15:49:55+00:00 Just had this happen on my Toshiba Satellite. Waited for it to do start up repair for around an hour, got sick of it, so i held down the power button, waited a couple more mins (while switched off to let it cool down a bit) and then turned it back on, pressed f8 as it was booting up and selected "start windows normally". it booted up normally, I'm now doing virus scans but as far as i can tell there doesn't seem to be anything severely wrong with it... gonna back up all my stuff just in case though.
-
Anonymous
2016-08-20T11:17:57+00:00 that's better but I have a different problem startup repair is taking way too long to come up and it's been on that 2 days it came up 3 hours late and still searching for problems
-
Anonymous
2017-03-29T18:33:24+00:00 May my start up repair took a week uninterrupted AND didn't fix anything so Microsoft I know lm using xp but please improve the start-up repair
Sincerly , a pissed off customer
-
Anonymous
2017-09-25T00:38:00+00:00 Replaced the hard drive same as JosephGG and problem was solved just as it was in his case. That's twice in two days for me, this and another computer. Drives were still readable and no noises, so I kept them. Hope to finish the science at some point and determine what caused the fails...