Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.
Startup Repair -- how long is too long?
I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack. (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)
Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?
Thanks
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2014-04-26T09:25:38+00:00 Happened to me today on a Toshiba laptop.
I have little patience with such thinks so looked up here for some instant guidance. Ignored all the usual reports of 'don't touch it', 'reload everything' and not having 3 hours to spare let alone 3 days I took my usual option of turning off (re-booting not being possible).
Back in business in 3 minutes. Although none the wiser what the message was all about, which puts me on par with the rest of the world.
Strangely enough this was the second complete hang up this week - the other being Avast locking my desktop (ditched Avast which replaced my ditched Norton for the same reason and all is well again). There may be a conspiracy about.
-
Anonymous
2014-02-28T19:41:44+00:00 I'm having a problem with my samsung laptop atm, it kept getting stuck at 2% so I've switched it off and tried again 3 times and it moves no further than 2% despite being left for over an hour each time?! Help?!?!?!?!i
-
Anonymous
2014-02-16T05:17:22+00:00 As frustrated as you - new to the PC world, I've used macs for years, and tearing my hair out everytime I have a PC problem. Some systems just work and make sense; some... well are more adopted. Considering the speed with which most computers can access the drive, I think 9 hrs indicates a hang-up. After 20min, my windows 7 returned with an "unspecified" error that it couldn't fix. At least I could then turn the dang thing off.
-
Anonymous
2013-10-13T07:21:08+00:00 Gidday, I came back to my computer (an HP haha) after being away for the afternoon, and it was just starting the startup repair. When given the options system restore or cancel, I chose cancel. After 10 mins I got fed up and turned off my computer by holding down the power button then turned it back on.. I was greeted with the startup repair screen again but this time I chose system restore.
This is when I came onto this forum using my iphone and started reading up about this problem. Luckily after about half an hour, the startup repair was complete, I clicked finish, and my laptop restarted itself, this time going to the home page.
Thought I'd experience my positive experiences for future readers! All the best.