Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.
Startup Repair -- how long is too long?
I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack. (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)
Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?
Thanks
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Newest
-
Anonymous
2015-08-24T16:43:42+00:00 400$?! I usually take 100€ for a complete check and reinstall.
-
Anonymous
2015-08-18T09:22:54+00:00 Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?
I have left this running for something like 16 hours now and just seemingly stuck at the same point. Will let it run, amazed to read it can take over three days. Would be nice to have some idea of progress...
I have the original OEM install disc so I guess I should be able to get it all back (eventually).
-
Anonymous
2015-08-12T04:28:17+00:00 please help i run an inspiron one 19 and tried using bios but wont work
-
Anonymous
2015-06-01T00:48:45+00:00 I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack. (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)
Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?
Thanks
Doing Startup Repair today on Windows 7, because my Toshiba laptop would start up, but that's all. Startup Repair started at 2PM for a 465 Gig drive. At 8:25PM, I was on another PC, reading this forum and wondering if the Startup Repair was functioning at all...and all of a sudden the laptop on which I was running the Startup Repair rebooted and now everything seems to be fine. So that was 6.5 hours.