Startup Repair -- how long is too long?

Anonymous
2010-03-17T13:27:39+00:00

I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack.  (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)

Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-04T04:23:51+00:00

Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-03-17T17:54:13+00:00

    I've been having the same problem. I'm on a Lenovo and the startup repair is taking way too long. I have tried shutting down my laptop a couple of times but I never works. On the menu it comes up with start windows with regular settings so I click it but it just comes up with the startup repair.

    it says "No changes will be made to your personal files or information. This may take over several minutes"

    underneath is the bar with the blue bars passing through, under that is says "attempting repairs..."repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete" first of all I ain't waiting and hour for this computer to load. I've tried starting it up for 2 days now and no progress has been made. I have history homework to do and I have no time for disk checks, when I try to cancel it says 'current repair operation cannot be cancelled' I end up getting annoyed and I spam the space bar and enter bar and it just makes a beeping sound for a couple of seconds then stopsSomeone Please Give Me Some Advise To Get MyLenovo working again!

    Thanks to the people who helped me! Xxxxx

    i have paid apps on this laptop and I don't want to lose them!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-10-10T12:37:25+00:00

    I'm having the EXACT same problem right now.

    My toshiba crashed out of nothing and is now showing the message 'repairing disk errors. this might take over an hour to complete'. Its been more than 3. I've read some messages below saying dont hit the power button or else you'll erase everything off the hard disk. Is this true? Can anybody confirm? Its taking waaay too long and actually have to study for a midterm

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-26T15:55:52+00:00

    Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?

    I have left this running for something like 16 hours now and just seemingly stuck at the same point.  Will let it run, amazed to read it can take over three days.   Would be nice to have some idea of progress...

    I have the original OEM install disc so I guess I should be able to get it all back (eventually).

    In the end I stopped it by restarting the PC. Copied off all the files via Ubuntu (how glad am I making it dual boot) and did a custom install overwriting everything.  Had a couple of failures due to missing drivers, but eventually Windows 7 reinstalled.  Added all the updates to obtain Get Windows 10 and most importantly installed Ubuntu on a new partition.  Installed all drivers for printer and wifi card. Then I did chkdsk and got no errors whatsoever.  So now I just have to copy back all the data.

    Two lessons learned.

    First, back up your data in the cloud or an external drive.  Leave a 64Gb Memory card in if need be and schedule saves.

    Second, make every pc dual boot. At least that way there is a way in to copy things out if you haven't backed up.

    luckily I did have dual boot and now  so has every other pc in the house.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-08-26T14:39:28+00:00

    And finally, it turns out that THE REAL PROBLEM was that the hard drive was failing.  It finally failed completely on August 8, 2015.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments