Startup Repair -- how long is too long?

Anonymous
2010-03-17T13:27:39+00:00

I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack.  (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)

Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-04T04:23:51+00:00

Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-01T19:22:23+00:00

    Hi...I have the same problem. Vista SP3. What did you end up doing to fix this?  I noticed several days ago that my pc would freeze after turning it on.  I ran windows update and now all of a sudden it won't load anything and I kept getting the startup repair window. I let it run for 12 hours and still nothing. I tried safe mode and last known good configuration but still at a loss. I have a 320 gb HD with nearly 100 gb used and tons of info stored.  I don't want to lose it! What should I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-01-20T14:42:55+00:00

    ok mines been doing the start up repair for about 2 days now and the bar is still moving...should i shut is down or let it go?

    Was this answer helpful?

    3 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-20T16:55:19+00:00

    don't shut it down,it may affect the hard drive or hurt it. I was just about to ask for help to when my laptop just finished start up repairing, it took at least 12 hours and it finished. So as long as the progress bar is moving let it be or consequences may arise

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-03-18T17:58:53+00:00

    It's good to have a resource like that to help you.  It's unusual for a clean install to factory conditions to make things worse, but it sometimes happens.  It could be a hardware or device driver issue - but I'm sure the technicians at the school will be able to help you.

    Good luck!


    Lorien - MCSE/MCSA/Network+/A+ --- If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments