Startup Repair -- how long is too long?

Anonymous
2010-03-17T13:27:39+00:00

I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack.  (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)

Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-04T04:23:51+00:00

Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-12-13T07:42:08+00:00

    I've had windows download updates and as I was messing with something else, had to restart and it started "updating" as it was shutting down. I said screw it, had to leave for work soon anyway.. The SOB was "updating" for almost 36 hours. I leave from one job and go directly to another before returning home so, around 17 hours later when I came home and was still on the same screen, I thought great, now I'm going to have to format and reinstall from disc again(as I've had to do this once with this laptop about 3-4 years ago) and maybe 10-15 after I came home, it changed to "update 2" as I was looking at the screen. Left it and went to sleep. 6 hours later I'm kinda pissed because had I been working on something important, I'd have been proper F****d. Sometime a couple few hours later, "startup sound" and no problems otherwise until now and I've been shooting hateful glances at this "might take over an hour" screen for 2:40 now... Problem is, I'm at work so it'd be just swell if it'd finish before 8am...

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-03-29T18:33:24+00:00

    May my start up repair took a week uninterrupted AND didn't fix anything so Microsoft I know lm using xp but please improve the start-up repair

    Sincerly , a pissed off customer

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-09-25T02:31:06+00:00

    Cekbl,

    When Startup repair was running what indication was the hard disk activity giving you? Mine blinks about 8 to 10 times quickly, then lights up for about 3 seconds. It just keeps doing this the whole time. It's been running almost 2 days now. Was your hard disk indicator showing any reading or writing activity for any more than a few seconds?

    Thanks for any response.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-03-01T19:22:23+00:00

    Hi...I have the same problem. Vista SP3. What did you end up doing to fix this?  I noticed several days ago that my pc would freeze after turning it on.  I ran windows update and now all of a sudden it won't load anything and I kept getting the startup repair window. I let it run for 12 hours and still nothing. I tried safe mode and last known good configuration but still at a loss. I have a 320 gb HD with nearly 100 gb used and tons of info stored.  I don't want to lose it! What should I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments