Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.
Startup Repair -- how long is too long?
I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack. (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)
Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?
Thanks
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2016-03-17T18:06:11+00:00 My repair took 14 hours. I had given up but kept it running while trying to figure out what to do next. I was shocked when it completed and had successfully repaired my PC.
-
Anonymous
2016-03-17T17:54:13+00:00 I've been having the same problem. I'm on a Lenovo and the startup repair is taking way too long. I have tried shutting down my laptop a couple of times but I never works. On the menu it comes up with start windows with regular settings so I click it but it just comes up with the startup repair.
it says "No changes will be made to your personal files or information. This may take over several minutes"
underneath is the bar with the blue bars passing through, under that is says "attempting repairs..."repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete" first of all I ain't waiting and hour for this computer to load. I've tried starting it up for 2 days now and no progress has been made. I have history homework to do and I have no time for disk checks, when I try to cancel it says 'current repair operation cannot be cancelled' I end up getting annoyed and I spam the space bar and enter bar and it just makes a beeping sound for a couple of seconds then stopsSomeone Please Give Me Some Advise To Get MyLenovo working again!
Thanks to the people who helped me! Xxxxx
i have paid apps on this laptop and I don't want to lose them!
-
Anonymous
2015-08-26T15:55:52+00:00 Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?
I have left this running for something like 16 hours now and just seemingly stuck at the same point. Will let it run, amazed to read it can take over three days. Would be nice to have some idea of progress...
I have the original OEM install disc so I guess I should be able to get it all back (eventually).
In the end I stopped it by restarting the PC. Copied off all the files via Ubuntu (how glad am I making it dual boot) and did a custom install overwriting everything. Had a couple of failures due to missing drivers, but eventually Windows 7 reinstalled. Added all the updates to obtain Get Windows 10 and most importantly installed Ubuntu on a new partition. Installed all drivers for printer and wifi card. Then I did chkdsk and got no errors whatsoever. So now I just have to copy back all the data.
Two lessons learned.
First, back up your data in the cloud or an external drive. Leave a 64Gb Memory card in if need be and schedule saves.
Second, make every pc dual boot. At least that way there is a way in to copy things out if you haven't backed up.
luckily I did have dual boot and now so has every other pc in the house.
-
Anonymous
2015-06-01T00:48:45+00:00 I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack. (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)
Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?
Thanks
Doing Startup Repair today on Windows 7, because my Toshiba laptop would start up, but that's all. Startup Repair started at 2PM for a 465 Gig drive. At 8:25PM, I was on another PC, reading this forum and wondering if the Startup Repair was functioning at all...and all of a sudden the laptop on which I was running the Startup Repair rebooted and now everything seems to be fine. So that was 6.5 hours.