Startup Repair -- how long is too long?

Anonymous
2010-03-17T13:27:39+00:00

I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack.  (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)

Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-04T04:23:51+00:00

Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-30T01:57:48+00:00

    my sisters ran for 4 hours and said terminate program then it restarted can someone tell me what to do now and will it affect anything on the laptop (i don't know much about computers and that).

    Was this answer helpful?

    10+ people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-06-20T16:55:19+00:00

    don't shut it down,it may affect the hard drive or hurt it. I was just about to ask for help to when my laptop just finished start up repairing, it took at least 12 hours and it finished. So as long as the progress bar is moving let it be or consequences may arise

    Was this answer helpful?

    8 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-18T01:51:29+00:00

    Hello everyone!

    Please, can someone help me? After my computer crashed a week ago I bought a new tower Dell Inspiron . On my old computer I had a EasyUSTodo back up and backed up the files just in case. The person who helps me sometimes with technical issues said that he cannot recover my files from the C dick. Although t back up was installed to my storage drive. Today I installed a free version of easyUS Todo and tried to clon the disk partition in attempt to know if I can recover my files. Cloning took about an hour and then display said it starting startup repair. It is going on around 2 hours now. I did shut down computer completely twice and then it asked what to do and here was my options:

    1). Startup repair. - which is runnung

    2). System restore- said that I don't  have earlier restore point

    3). System image recovery - said that I don't have any system image yet

    1.  Windows memory diagnostic

    5). Command prompt - I didn't understand what should I do with it.

    6).  Dell backup and recovery - did not find any issue on my PC.

    what should I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-30T01:59:30+00:00

    I just ran startup repair in Windows 7 and it finished in 5 1/2 hours. My hard drive light mostly just flickered lightly. I was sure nothing was happening but I was very wrong. Success, computer runs better than I can ever remember, superb. I have had this PC for 5+years and it seems to run better than the day I bought it.  Knowing what I know now, I would let Startup Repair run for a very long time. I am discovering little things like the search index are now performing crisply. My original problem was getting my external drive to do a windows 7 system image backup. Now it works and the backup is not only successful but much faster. Previously it backed up for two hours and then issued a (0x8078015B)  error accessing the remote shared folder. I give Windows 7 Service Pack 1 a very high grade. Good Luck.

    that it what happened to my sisters can you tell me what to do know but it restarted and please dumb it down

    Was this answer helpful?

    7 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments