Startup Repair -- how long is too long?

Anonymous
2010-03-17T13:27:39+00:00

I'm trying Startup Repair on a Windows Vista laptop that won't start up after having reportedly been shut down normally, after what sounded like a Trojan attack.  (Not sure what happened to it exactly, but my friend wasn't running antivirus software!)

Startup Repair says "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete," but it's been running for about 9 hours now, and trying to Cancel it yields the message "The current repair operation cannot be cancelled" -- is it still actually doing anything? Would it be worth it to let Startup Repair run any longer?

Thanks

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-02-04T04:23:51+00:00

Sorry for not getting back to this thread at the time. In the case of the laptop I was having trouble with, the hard drive had to be replaced. I don't know whether the HD was the cause of the original problem, or shutting down the Startup Repair process damaged the HD.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-08-20T11:17:57+00:00

    that's better but I have a different problem startup repair is taking way too long to come up and it's been on that 2 days it came up 3 hours late and still searching for problems

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-05-28T15:49:55+00:00

    Just had this happen on my Toshiba Satellite. Waited for it to do start up repair for around an hour, got sick of it, so i held down the power button, waited a couple more mins (while switched off to let it cool down a bit) and then turned it back on, pressed f8 as it was booting up and selected "start windows normally". it booted up normally, I'm now doing virus scans but as far as i can tell there doesn't seem to be anything severely wrong with it... gonna back up all my stuff just in case though.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-03T00:06:36+00:00

    I have a Windows 8 desktop that has the problem I'm not sure if I have to buy the recovery DVD and for I do how do I use it to recover my computer 

    Sorry to hear of your trouble. 

    In response-- 9 hours is not too long.  On my 11th attempt to have the resident startup repair (F8) complete, I had to let the computer run, uninterrupted for 3.5 DAYS. 

    A boot  from the recovery DVD worked, restoring the system (use F2 and modify setup to boot from CD/DVD first, then the internal  HDD ) . Then the F8, repair computer.  Days later, F8 again and safemode with networking.

    I have subsequently had no additional problems, but have decided to add norton utilities to my already functioning NIS2011.

    No virus was implicated-- just conflicts with software and drivers. the resident Windows utilities (used faithfully) and keeping drivers updated was insufficient to resolve all conflicts.

    patience paid off-- no $400 fee to have someone else restore the system.

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-10-10T12:37:25+00:00

    I'm having the EXACT same problem right now.

    My toshiba crashed out of nothing and is now showing the message 'repairing disk errors. this might take over an hour to complete'. Its been more than 3. I've read some messages below saying dont hit the power button or else you'll erase everything off the hard disk. Is this true? Can anybody confirm? Its taking waaay too long and actually have to study for a midterm

    Thank you!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments