msg.exe / netsend - anything availible on Windows 7?

Anonymous
2009-10-27T01:36:10+00:00

On XP, I used to communicate through my network for fun via netsend. 

I've googled, and apparently msg.exe replaced it in vista?

What about Win7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-28T00:53:42+00:00

Hi Shankopotamus,

Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Forums.

Windows 7 does not support msg.exe and net send commands to send messages over network.

Hope this information is helpful.

Suresh G

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-01-02T12:41:32+00:00

    Will this work on a simple home network - i.e. not using AD for usernames?

    I created a simple .bat file as suggested inputting the path from option A, then typing the username with a simple test message.

    The issue I found while trying to do this as suggested is that the username seemed not to be recognized.  The error was as follows:

    {ErrorPrintf(): LoadString failed, Error 15105, (0x00003B01)}

    Error [15105]:The resource loader cache doesn't have loaded MUI entry.

    As this is my first attempt trying this out, I'm sure it's something simple.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-02T16:20:05+00:00

    I am not sure about it working across a home network.  I only know that it does work to the local pc (from a BAT file).

    To be sure, you should check the path is correct (instead of taking mine for gospel) in case your installation gives the path a different name.

    Click START and type in msg.exe.    It should appear at the top of the search results.  Then right-click on it, chose properties and it will show you the extended path to where that program is currently residing.  THAT is the path you need to insert into your BAT file.

    I will reiterate, Im not sure it will recognise usernames across a network though.  (For your information, I use it in a BAT file designed to load a program on various conditions being met, and the message is issued to the local user, ie ME, to inform me if those conditions are not met).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-02T18:08:18+00:00

    Thanks for the reply - I found the path just fine and put that in the BAT file - it's just the username I'm trying to work out for the other PC which I'm having difficulty with.  I've now got it to give me an error of 'unknown username or bad password'.  I guess I'll just keep working on that sticking point unless someone else has any insight.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-31T09:16:15+00:00

    Hi Shankopotamus,

    Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Forums.

    Windows 7 does not support msg.exe and net send commands to send messages over network.

     

    Hope this information is helpful.

     

    Suresh G

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

    I cannot believe such a stupid response!!!!  WE KNOW THAT!  That's why we're asking for a solution!!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments