msg.exe / netsend - anything availible on Windows 7?

Anonymous
2009-10-27T01:36:10+00:00

On XP, I used to communicate through my network for fun via netsend. 

I've googled, and apparently msg.exe replaced it in vista?

What about Win7?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-10-28T00:53:42+00:00

Hi Shankopotamus,

Welcome to Microsoft Windows 7 Forums.

Windows 7 does not support msg.exe and net send commands to send messages over network.

Hope this information is helpful.

Suresh G

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think

Was this answer helpful?

90+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-04-25T19:59:33+00:00

    Yes, my friend, you should copy the files on every PC.

    Thank you!

    What a pain :-(

    But thank you :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-04-27T09:49:38+00:00

    Hhmmm… even if these files are in the correct locations on other PC’s, messages are not delivered to anyone except me!

    So when fred.jones is logged on to a PC, and I msg fred.jones Hello, it says “fred.jones does not exist or is disconnected”.

    And if I msg *, I get the message OK, but nobody else does…

    Actually, if I msg myself from another PC, it says I don’t exist… :(

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-04-27T17:31:54+00:00

    Have you checked that the firewall on the pc's are allowing the necessary comms (ports) through?  (I dont know what these are - maybe port 445 or 1013 or .....? Dont quote me, I have no idea.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-04-28T13:59:34+00:00

    Starting to get beyond my competence level here (not difficult), but the PC firewalls seem to be turned off... maybe because we're behind a router or something? or there's a bigger one further down the line...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments