error code 0*80041004 while opening internet games in windows 7

Anonymous
2009-12-30T14:38:37+00:00

while opening internet checkers & internet spades in windows 7 an error message is encountered stating "a network error occurred while communicating with the game server (error code: 0x80041004)". i searched the microsoft site for this error code & found that something called "hotfix" is needed to solve this issue. i downloaded that file. it was unzipped to c drive. but it did not solve my problem. that error message still comes. what to do next?

Windows for home | Other | Gaming

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-31T13:31:26+00:00

shubham2336,

Welcome to Microsoft Windows.

I will need some more information to assist you better.

a)Is your computer connected to internet?

I will suggest you to reinstall the internet checkers & internet spades using Turn Windows features on or off and check if you come across the same problem.

You may follow the steps mentioned below:

1.      Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2.      To turn a Windows feature on, select the check box next to the feature. To turn a Windows feature off, clear the check box. Click OK.

For more information on Turn Windows feature on or off, you may visit the link mentioned below:

Turn Windows features on or offhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-Windows-features-on-or-off 

Hope this information is helpful.

Regards,

Sujan – Microsoft Support

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

56 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-12-07T04:33:13+00:00

    Hi,

    I don't know if this helps or not but just deleted the following update (KB982381) and now I am able to play the internet games as I too had the same issue.

    I don't have update (KB982381) and it still occasionally gives me the 0x80041004 while trying to start Backgammon and also 0x80041006 (A network error occurred while communication with the game server) while playing Backgammon.

    I've kept tabs on it and it's a random thing. Sometimes it will go for ages and not happen then sometimes it happens all the time for days. It's really annoying when you're having a good game and the result is close and you get 0x80041006, Yeah Great Thanks A Lot!

    Microsoft put up so many maybes and possible solutions, I really don't think they know what causes it and how to fix it.

    As much as it annoys me I just accept it and think 'If I can play I will, If I can't I won't, If it loses comms while I'm playing it then I consider the game a draw. Nothing else you can do about it.

    What have you actually done for this game to work? internet checkers windows 7? ever since i went to windows 10,dont see it anymore ):

    Rosanne

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-09-03T19:34:23+00:00

    shubham2336,

    Welcome to Microsoft Windows.

    I will need some more information to assist you better.

    a)Is your computer connected to internet?

    I will suggest you to reinstall the internet checkers & internet spades using Turn Windows features on or off and check if you come across the same problem.

    You may follow the steps mentioned below:

    1.      Click the Start button, click Control Panel, click Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

    2.      To turn a Windows feature on, select the check box next to the feature. To turn a Windows feature off, clear the check box. Click OK.

    For more information on Turn Windows feature on or off, you may visit the link mentioned below:

    Turn Windows features on or offhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Turn-Windows-features-on-or-off 

    Hope this information is helpful.

    Regards,

    Sujan – Microsoft Support

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    This is not "helpful" in any manner.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-09-04T15:27:01+00:00

    Forget it..waste of time..there is no way to re install internet checkers.used to be on msn.this only worked on windows 7..have windows 10 now..):):):

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-12-12T00:01:50+00:00

    Same error code again today 0x80041004 while accessing Internet Backgammon. It was helpful to learn here from so many others that use several PC's at one time and all suffer this error at the same time.

    Frustrating to never see a real answer anywhere from Microsoft. Whatsadealeo there?

    Wait a few days & it will return.

    In the mean time - I will search for another simple backgammon game with similar attributes.

    /schofie in Petersburg, VA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments