HP Installer Setup has stopped working

Anonymous
2010-03-24T21:00:22+00:00

I am trying to install HP printer software on a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit computer.  When I run the file it completes extraction and then I get ar error message "HP Installer Setup has stopped working".  I have two options - 1, Close the Program, or 2. Windows check for a solution to the proglem and close the program.  Both of these close the program. 

Does a solution exists for this problem?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-27T12:20:00+00:00

It does show that  HP Photosmart C6180 is compatible with Windows 7 for both 64-bit and 32-bit computers.

The drivers come from HP to make their computer compatible with Windows 7. I would check the HP website to see if you have the latest driver set for your verison of the Photosmart printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=1153494&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

If that doesn't help, you can post your question on the HP community website. http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-and/bd-p/Install

Thanks,

Marilyn

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-05-19T11:27:39+00:00

    I just tried to install the latest version of the HP software and it does not work.  Extraction completes, then I get the message that HP intaller setup has stopped working.  The problem is not resolved, I don't know how this got marked as answered or how to remove the check mark.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-05-20T06:14:54+00:00

    Does anybody at Microsoft know how to solve this problem?  Everything suggested to date does not work.  I have the same problem will all HP software that I try to install on this computer.  What is wrong with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit that will not allow installing HP software - all other software installs without problems?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-05-20T18:23:40+00:00

    Hi b2martin_a,

    Are you able to use your HP printer without any issues? 

    You may try the below methods, one by one, and check if this helps.

    Method 1: Clear the Temp folder and try running the HP software with administrator privileges.

    1. Choose Start > Computer
    2. In Computer, open the "C:" drive.
    3. Open the Users folder.
    4. Double-click the folder titled with your username.
    5. If you see an AppData folder, skip to step 10. If you don't see an AppData folder, proceed to the next step.
    6. Choose Organize > Folder and Search Options.
    7. Click the View tab.
    8. Select the option to "Show hidden files and folders." (In Windows 7 this option will be called "Show hidden files, folders, and drives").
    9. Click OK.
    10. Double-click the AppData folder to open it. If Windows needs your permission to continue click Continue.
    11. Double-click the Local folder to open it.
    12. Right-click on the Temp folder and choose Delete.
    13. In the confirmation dialog that appears click Yes.
    14. If you are unable to delete the Temp folder, close all programs, especially those in the Notification area ("System Tray") of the Windows Task bar and repeat step 12.
    15. Restart your computer.
    16. Now right-click on the HP software and select Run as administrator.

    Method 2: Sometimes HP printer drivers cause such problems so, uninstall it and re-install it. Then check for the issue.

    To uninstall drivers,

    1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
    2. Select a program, and then click Uninstall. Some programs include the option to change or repair the program in addition to uninstalling it, but many simply offer the option to uninstall. To change a program, click Change or Repair. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

    Refer the below link for more details:

    Uninstall or change a program

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Uninstall-or-change-a-program

    To install a program, refer the below link:

    Install a program

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Install-a-program

    Method 3: Create a new user account and check if it fixes the problem.

    1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain) and then clicking User Accounts.
    2. Click Manage another account.
    3. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. Click Create a new account.
    5. Type the name you want to give the user account, click an account type and then click Create Account.

    Create a user account

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/Create-a-user-account

    If it works in a new user account then you need to fix the corrupt user profile. You may visit this link for the steps:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/Windows7/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

    Let us know if this works.


    Thanks and Regards

    Umesh P - Microsoft Support. Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-05-24T13:38:29+00:00

    No success. 

    I deleted everything in the %temp% location, ran the HP file (extraction completed, but setup failed).  I went to the temp folder and tried to run setup.exe using various settings (Windows XP, Windows Vista, etc) but none worked. I ran the Microsoft compatibility on “setup.exe” and get incompatible application detected.

    I do not have problems installing any other software, only HP software.  I have tried several different packages from HP and get the same results with all. 

    HP support worked on this problem on two occasions and had control of my PC for over 8 hours without success.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments