Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

Anonymous
2009-06-20T14:51:43+00:00

I am having difficulty watching DVD on Windows Media Player Inspiron Dell Laptop.  I get so far into the dvd and then the playback stops and the CD/DVD drive starts making a noise that sounds like the DVD is either stuck or catching, this has happened a couple of times burning CD's to itunes.  I can eject the DVD and when I do I get the following error message

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

I.ve used the windows web help, I've downloaded the latest driver from Dell (nVidia) which is also the advice given on one the forum pages but still getting the same problem. I've also downloaded the Windows Automatic Fix application but this has not resolved it either.  I am using Windows Vista.

Can you help!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-06-21T02:01:15+00:00

Hi Dansue,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

Sounds like you’re CD\DVD drive is starting to fail. Check with Dell to see if they have an updated firmware and Driver for your CD\DVD drive.  Uninstall the current driver that windows is using and install the updated one.  If you’re still hearing that catching sound, then it’s more likely that you’re CD\DVD drive needs to be changed.

Hope that helps, please post back and let us know.


JohnD

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-04-24T14:40:22+00:00

    I had the copy protection problem in Windows 7 after installing the latest updates. The culprit appeaed to be update KB974431.  I uninstalled it, shut down the laptop with the power adapter unplugged and rebooted.  My commercial DVDs now play.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-04-25T12:03:29+00:00

    I had the same problem.

    Uninstalled Nero 10 and DivX player(OEM) and everything started to work again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-05-15T03:25:44+00:00

    Hey guys I've found that when they won't play through media player if I use VLC player it works fine hope that helps

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-07-20T14:27:08+00:00

    Update your driver.  Why don't you just shrug your shoulders and walk away.  I've been trying to fix this problem for half a year now since it started after OS reload.  VLC media player was an instant fix.  I wish I had googled it first instead of following the error message's instructions.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments