Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

Anonymous
2009-06-20T14:51:43+00:00

I am having difficulty watching DVD on Windows Media Player Inspiron Dell Laptop.  I get so far into the dvd and then the playback stops and the CD/DVD drive starts making a noise that sounds like the DVD is either stuck or catching, this has happened a couple of times burning CD's to itunes.  I can eject the DVD and when I do I get the following error message

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

I.ve used the windows web help, I've downloaded the latest driver from Dell (nVidia) which is also the advice given on one the forum pages but still getting the same problem. I've also downloaded the Windows Automatic Fix application but this has not resolved it either.  I am using Windows Vista.

Can you help!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-06-21T02:01:15+00:00

Hi Dansue,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

Sounds like you’re CD\DVD drive is starting to fail. Check with Dell to see if they have an updated firmware and Driver for your CD\DVD drive.  Uninstall the current driver that windows is using and install the updated one.  If you’re still hearing that catching sound, then it’s more likely that you’re CD\DVD drive needs to be changed.

Hope that helps, please post back and let us know.


JohnD

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-09-12T00:21:51+00:00

    For those wanting to jump on the Blame microsoft wagon, i just wanted to tell you this:

            I got that error tonight. on a dvd drive i always use. I looked to this after trying the video driver update and it not working. But put the disc straight from the dvd drive to the dvd burner i usually only use for burning and the disc started no problems. I'd say it's a hardware or driver issue with the drive not WMP. not that i always love microsoft we have our fights, and IE is a joke but nothing is perfect.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-09-27T21:08:10+00:00

    This is another example of Digital Rights Management (DRM) and similar anti-piracy tactics hurting paying customers. I recently reinstalled Windows on an 8 year old Gateway and just ran into this problem with Windows Media Player. VLC also doesn't want to play my store-bought DVDs. I remembered that I originally had to purchase WinDVD so that I could watch movies; it contained the necessary codec. Unfortunately, when I tried to reactivate WinDVD, I ran into a series of brick walls. Another

    Then I remembered that a later purchase of Roxio Easy Media Creator 8.0 also contained a DVD codec. I'd already reinstalled Roxio and fired up its DVD player. Lo and behold I was able to play DVD's on it. But I still can't play them on Windows Media Player or VLC.

    I don't know what exactly caused these problems, but it seems to be related to more DRM madness. I recognize the need for these companies to protect their intellectual property, but it so often seems that the last people whose needs are taken into account are legitimate customers.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-08T21:59:30+00:00

    JohnD support operators suggestion works great. The trick is to find the correct driver to uninstall. Click the START button in search for program type update device drivers. Go to dvd/cd-rom drivers then go to your dvd device which for me is HL-DT-ST-DVD+-rw GA31n ATA device uninstall it restart your computer then reinstall the device driver for your device and that should fix any corrupt data for the copy write protection.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-12-09T02:24:49+00:00

    This was a gigantic annoyance for me and similar to everyone here this appears to be some kind of DRM issue.  I tried all the suggestions mentioned above, re-installing the latest drivers, upgrading to WMP11, installed the latest K-Lite codecs and the XP codes (since my machine is XP).  I even tried the Windows Media Player Classic that comes with these installs to no avail.  I have definitely played DVDs on this machine before and now nothing will work.  I downloaded a copy of VLC Media Player and the good news is that it actually displayed the menu of the DVDs (which I presume are not copy protected) but was not able to play anything else.

    This is so annoying to have purchased a laptop and a DVD but not be able to use it, maybe if these movies production companies didn't pay $50 Million to people who's only skills involved looking attractive and being able to read someone's else lines we could watch these movies.

    Anyway, hope someone else has better luck out there.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments