Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

Anonymous
2009-06-20T14:51:43+00:00

I am having difficulty watching DVD on Windows Media Player Inspiron Dell Laptop.  I get so far into the dvd and then the playback stops and the CD/DVD drive starts making a noise that sounds like the DVD is either stuck or catching, this has happened a couple of times burning CD's to itunes.  I can eject the DVD and when I do I get the following error message

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

I.ve used the windows web help, I've downloaded the latest driver from Dell (nVidia) which is also the advice given on one the forum pages but still getting the same problem. I've also downloaded the Windows Automatic Fix application but this has not resolved it either.  I am using Windows Vista.

Can you help!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-06-21T02:01:15+00:00

Hi Dansue,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

Sounds like you’re CD\DVD drive is starting to fail. Check with Dell to see if they have an updated firmware and Driver for your CD\DVD drive.  Uninstall the current driver that windows is using and install the updated one.  If you’re still hearing that catching sound, then it’s more likely that you’re CD\DVD drive needs to be changed.

Hope that helps, please post back and let us know.


JohnD

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-28T17:42:34+00:00

    I got a used DVDs from FYI that had digital copys, although someone used up the codes they had already, however the 'update' to windows media player has stoped playback for me as well.

    I left a DVD on the menu for music to fall asleep and it was off when I woke up w/ the same message described above, about:

    Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

    I also had to sign up w/ Microsoft for something even though all I had was an email w/ them, just to post this.

    Stop being stingy Microsoft, before we all have broken stuff and apples-

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-22T15:51:38+00:00

    please provide the solution

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-24T02:27:57+00:00

    Well I will post a update. I too ran into this problem. I never was able to solve it. However, windows media center plays the dvds which windows media player cannot. Try using windows media center instead and win the battle, calling the war a tie.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-10-21T18:37:04+00:00

    Most of us that reply in this Forum are just run of the mill users like you and have nothing to do with Microsoft.  There are some Microsoft support staff that frequent the Forum however.

    Did resetting the DRM make any difference?

    Can you copy this DVD in your Apple machine and try to play the copy in the Windows 7 machine?  Does the original DVD play on any friends Windows 7 machines?

    Do any other  DVD movies, besides the pirate one you mentioned, play on your machine?

    As your machine is brand new have you approached the manufacturer for their views on the matter?  Are there any updated Bios available for this machine?

    Do you get the same error if you test with another user?

    How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929135

    Are you running a SP1 version of Windows 7?

    This example might or might not work for you with your DVD it uses the built-in Administrator account?  It is just something to try.

    "It seems that the "Run as administrator" command only gives you some administrative privileges, and they're not enough to install Java (and OpenOffice, by association). In order to get around this, you need to actually log into the built-in administrator. Open a command prompt with admin rights by clicking start, typing cmd into the search/run box, and hitting CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. At the prompt, type:

    net user administrator /active:yes

    Then log out of your regular account and back in as the built-in administrator, where you might be able to install the program. When you're done, log back into your regular account and, for security purposes, disable the built-in administrator account using:

    net user administrator /active:no "

    Can you make use of a program like this to get any further insight toward the problem.

    Process Monitor v2.8

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments