Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

Anonymous
2009-06-20T14:51:43+00:00

I am having difficulty watching DVD on Windows Media Player Inspiron Dell Laptop.  I get so far into the dvd and then the playback stops and the CD/DVD drive starts making a noise that sounds like the DVD is either stuck or catching, this has happened a couple of times burning CD's to itunes.  I can eject the DVD and when I do I get the following error message

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

I.ve used the windows web help, I've downloaded the latest driver from Dell (nVidia) which is also the advice given on one the forum pages but still getting the same problem. I've also downloaded the Windows Automatic Fix application but this has not resolved it either.  I am using Windows Vista.

Can you help!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-06-21T02:01:15+00:00

Hi Dansue,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

Sounds like you’re CD\DVD drive is starting to fail. Check with Dell to see if they have an updated firmware and Driver for your CD\DVD drive.  Uninstall the current driver that windows is using and install the updated one.  If you’re still hearing that catching sound, then it’s more likely that you’re CD\DVD drive needs to be changed.

Hope that helps, please post back and let us know.


JohnD

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2010-08-27T05:16:48+00:00

    I too had this same error when I found myself stranded out of town with a netbook and the desperate need for an escape from a grueling day behind the keyboard.  The solution for me was to use a newer DVDRW drive.  My failing drive was a Toshiba DVD-ROM model SD-M1212 and the sucessful drive was a Samsung SH-S202.  I am using an Acer netbook with an external enclosure by iMicro.  Oh and windows Media Player 11.0.6001.7000

    Hope this helps someone.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-08-26T18:09:47+00:00

    I myself have been getting the dreaded Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card . 

    But mine is a bit different, I work for a school district on a windows domain with Active directory accounts and the issue happens on teachers laptops, the weird thing for me is, if I logon as myself (tech account) the DVD plays fine, if I logon as local admin it plays fine (meaning not a profile issue).  I even tried creating a new local account with admin rights but it would not play on that account either.  I will try the windows media player classic thing later, but I am still stumpped as to why it will work on some accounts and not others, both on and off the domain.

    Oh and I have klite already installed, did the driver things, firmware ect.  Windows XP SP3 WMP 11

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-06T19:54:46+00:00

    My DVDs were playing fine until I had started running a Virtual Machine under VMware in the background. I use VMware to run a linux server on which I develop websites. One day, I decided to take a break from system admin and just minimized the VM. I popped-in my Red Dwarf DVD and proceeded to watch a few episodes. I didn't get very far. This message would appear after skipping though logos at the beginning of the DVD, just before presenting the menu animation.

    I searched Google, found this thread, and bemoaned the possibility of having to buy something else just to play a DVD I have already paid for on a computer I have already paid for, in an Operating System I have already paid for... Anyway, I thought about the fact that I was still running my VM in the background. (I usually do not have it running when I watch DVDs.)

    I shutdown my CentOS Server and closed VMware. Wow! My DVD now plays!!

    Obviously, either VMware or Microsoft  or both of them need to iron this out... What are we to go back to the days of being able to run only one program at a time on our suped-up desktops? I am running Windows 7 64-bit with all current updates. I am running VMware 7.1.0, which I just purchased and installed the other day. It is the most recent version.

    Just more food for thought... Good luck to those of you still suffering with this problem. My guess is that it might have something to do with a virtualization application or an application which virtualizes some piece of hardware being present. Maybe an ISO mounting application???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-04-25T19:18:27+00:00

    I just got this message for the first time, running XP and WMP 11.

    It's the first time I've tried to play a DVD.

    I suspect that the newest edition of WMP is designed to require some third party decoder (for $10  to $100).

    This makes perfect sense for a free program, but it still makes me sort of angry. Why bother to make the thing if it isn't going to work?

    If you don't want to pay the extra money (and a subscription plan is the worst deal I've heard of), VideoLAN will play your DVDs for free.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments