Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

Anonymous
2009-06-20T14:51:43+00:00

I am having difficulty watching DVD on Windows Media Player Inspiron Dell Laptop.  I get so far into the dvd and then the playback stops and the CD/DVD drive starts making a noise that sounds like the DVD is either stuck or catching, this has happened a couple of times burning CD's to itunes.  I can eject the DVD and when I do I get the following error message

Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.

I.ve used the windows web help, I've downloaded the latest driver from Dell (nVidia) which is also the advice given on one the forum pages but still getting the same problem. I've also downloaded the Windows Automatic Fix application but this has not resolved it either.  I am using Windows Vista.

Can you help!!

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-06-21T02:01:15+00:00

Hi Dansue,

Thank you for posting on the forum.

Sounds like you’re CD\DVD drive is starting to fail. Check with Dell to see if they have an updated firmware and Driver for your CD\DVD drive.  Uninstall the current driver that windows is using and install the updated one.  If you’re still hearing that catching sound, then it’s more likely that you’re CD\DVD drive needs to be changed.

Hope that helps, please post back and let us know.


JohnD

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2009-12-14T15:24:46+00:00

    Let me get this right, MicroSoft Media Player failed to playback DVD's (which I have exactly the same issue). While you feeling let down by such piece of junk, MicroSoft is paying its staff to tell you that this is someone else's fault! What classic illustration of wonderful marketing skill of MicroSoft. No wonder its engineers is more sounds like a marketing guy than anything else.

    Well done MicroSoft for push around responsibility after custom purchased your product. No wonder you got such reputation in the market place. Let's see how long this will last!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-03-22T04:48:26+00:00

    thats a bunch of bull, I have been having the same trouble trying to play dvds that used to play but now dont so therefor i'm not buying into any of that piracy or copy ****.just looking for a sensible solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-05-03T21:47:43+00:00

    Yes, I have just had this problem too (since the auto-update to WMP10 or maybe 11,  I didn't  notice).

    WMP10 has decided it isn't going to play commercial DVDs any more.

    Not on a connected DVD player but from the  D and E drives of  the PC (one a CD burner and DVD reader and one a CD/DVD burner).

    At first, it wouldn't play the video off my own home movies either.

    Working through Microsoft's fixes (install a DVD decoder from a third party) didn't work (although my home movies played OK). Trawling the Internet, I tried some codec fixes. No luck there except a dwindling HDD size!

    OK, already committed after spending money on the decoder that was recommended for my system (Win XP) only to find that according to the Microsoft DVD decoder facility, it isn't suitable - DOH!

    Bought a DVD player program (again, as recommended by Microsoft). Did that fix it? NO.

    Microsoft's only other suggestions were to either remove the DVD and reinsert it (yes, I had already done that quite a few times) or to make sure the disc was clean. Rocket science stuff there.

    All firmware updated so I rolled back to  WMP9 (which played them fine the day before).

    Nope. Obviously WMP10 deposited something that causes it to refuse to play commercial DVDs any more.

    Back to WMP10 again - problem still there.

    Thanks heaps Microsoft.

    With money getting in short supply, I've bitten the bullet and given up on WMP.

    WMP Classic plays them fine, by the way so, rather than pay out for recommended stuff that won't work, just play the DVDs in that (or a decent alternative like VLC, of course).

    I have to admit, the DVD player program I bought is much better than WMP ever was but how annoying to have something taken away AND have it still not working after following their instructions and paying for third party programs.

    Don't know if it works on systems above XP (does work with WinMe) but DVD43 is rather good - and free and, rather nice, allows WMP10 to play my DVDs fine. Just sits in the tray and removes the protection so the things play as they should do.

    Shame we have to resort to this but Microsoft isn't helping.

    AnyDVD threw all sorts of spanners in the works and certainly doesn't like co-existing with Nero6 so I deleted it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-10T09:30:45+00:00

    All of you can forget changing your equipment, updating your drivers, adding updated codecs, using new or updated video decoders and any other solutions.  I went through several weeks of trying to find a solution to this problem.  I did all of the items I just mentioned.

    I finally found out that the DVD manufacturers have adopted new anti-piracy codes.  They weren't satisfied with the DRM codes they were building into the disks.  Now the newer disks check to see what you are using to view the DVD.  If you are using a standard player attached to your TV, the disk plays just fine.  If you are using a DVD player attached to your computer, none of the DVD decoders will work.  Windows Media Player and Real Player cannot be used to view a DVD.  The program will start but it won't play the disk.

    So, until someone corrects the problem so that we consumers can watch DVDs on our computers, this is another pleasure we will be forced to forego.  My new disks will not work on my computer.  My older disks still play just fine.  There are DRM removal tools, but they will generally cost you.  I don't know if they would work on this type of disk.

    The only solution I can see is to put something in the computer system that will allow it to simulate a regular player.  I seriously doubt that Microsoft will do anything of this nature, even though it reduces Windows Media Player usefulness.

    If someone comes up with an alternate solution, I'm all ears.  Otherwise, good luck!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments