updates not responding error code 80070641

Anonymous
2009-03-15T14:13:54+00:00

I receive the following error code for updates 800 70641

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-03-15T23:04:04+00:00

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Communities site.

Windwos Update Error 0x80070641

The definition of the error code you’ve received 0x80070641 can be found below:

ERROR_INSTALL_SERVICE_FAILURE - The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.

If you can successfully install applications that rely on the Windows Installer then the service itself is most likely functional, and was simply in use at the time of the update. Thus, you will want to make sure that the Windows Installer service is not in use prior to attempting updates.

If the issue persists after you’ve confirmed no installations are taking place proceed with the troubleshooting below.

How-to stop the Windows Installer service.

If you are sure no installations or configurations, which rely on the Windows Installer, prior to updating you can try manually stopping the Windows Installer service, and then attempting Windows Update. If the error code persists after that the issue may be related to a corrupt or otherwise damaged Windows Installer.

Stop the Windows Installer service and then use Windows Update…
1.    <br>Click<br>Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.<br><br><br>2.    <br>At the<br>Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:<br><br><br>3.    <br>net stop msiserver<br><br><br><br><br> Note:<br>This will effectively stop the Windows Installer service. This service will load-on-demand so manually stopping it does not adversely affect the computer. <br> --- <br><br><br><br>4.    <br>Launch<br>Windows Update, and then attempt to install the previously failed updates.

If this troubleshooting does not address your present error code please let the community know. Be sure to include all relevant information, and the steps you’ve already taken to try resolving this issue. Please include the results of the troubleshooting I’ve provided, and we would be more than happy to assist you further.

[Jared


Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Posting to you from Windows 7!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-07-09T03:30:47+00:00

    I'm having problems installing updates to Windows 2011.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-08-03T07:51:34+00:00

    I receive the following error code for updates 800 70641

    This "fix" does not work for me.  I continue to get this 80070641 error code when running "Windows Update"

    What else should I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-22T13:14:41+00:00

    This did not work for me. I suggest you do try this in case you cannot register.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-05T16:07:12+00:00

    Thanks - perfect solution for my problem on updates.  Now I'm back to working with why internet explorer doesn't work anymore.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments