updates not responding error code 80070641

Anonymous
2009-03-15T14:13:54+00:00

I receive the following error code for updates 800 70641

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-03-15T23:04:04+00:00

Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Communities site.

Windwos Update Error 0x80070641

The definition of the error code you’ve received 0x80070641 can be found below:

ERROR_INSTALL_SERVICE_FAILURE - The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.

If you can successfully install applications that rely on the Windows Installer then the service itself is most likely functional, and was simply in use at the time of the update. Thus, you will want to make sure that the Windows Installer service is not in use prior to attempting updates.

If the issue persists after you’ve confirmed no installations are taking place proceed with the troubleshooting below.

How-to stop the Windows Installer service.

If you are sure no installations or configurations, which rely on the Windows Installer, prior to updating you can try manually stopping the Windows Installer service, and then attempting Windows Update. If the error code persists after that the issue may be related to a corrupt or otherwise damaged Windows Installer.

Stop the Windows Installer service and then use Windows Update…
1.    <br>Click<br>Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.<br><br><br>2.    <br>At the<br>Command Prompt window type the following, and press Enter:<br><br><br>3.    <br>net stop msiserver<br><br><br><br><br> Note:<br>This will effectively stop the Windows Installer service. This service will load-on-demand so manually stopping it does not adversely affect the computer. <br> --- <br><br><br><br>4.    <br>Launch<br>Windows Update, and then attempt to install the previously failed updates.

If this troubleshooting does not address your present error code please let the community know. Be sure to include all relevant information, and the steps you’ve already taken to try resolving this issue. Please include the results of the troubleshooting I’ve provided, and we would be more than happy to assist you further.

[Jared


Microsoft Answers Support Engineer Posting to you from Windows 7!

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-11T03:57:38+00:00

    Jared I have tried the download of P. health advisor which was supposed to fix the issue with kb2680317 tand recieved error 646 again and code 80246007 then I tried "fix it twice and received code 80070641 fix it said problem was fixed both times still can't install kb2680317. I the tried the command propt   net stop msiserver, this did not fix the issue either. Another thing is in june 2011 I bought P.Health advisor and when I triy to defrag my c drive it get hung up and I have to uunplug my comp, because it will not respond. I have an emachine 64 with vista home. Why doesn't my comp know I have previously downloaded p.health advisor and registered it , two of the fixes for issues I 've had both "solutions " should have been fixed with p advisor. please help me I depend on this comp and do not down load anything I don't know or visit questionable web  sights????

    desparate!!!

    Richard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-21T02:23:40+00:00

    Thank you for addressing my concern.

    I tried to stop the Windows Installer service, at the command prompt when I typed the command, net stop msiserver I received the following message

    The windows installer service is not started.

    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

    C:&gt;

    Then I tried to install the update and got the same error code 80070641.

    When it is installing the update it gets to the point where it is creating a restore point, installing update 1 of 1, then it will give me the error code.

    Can you please help, why is it trying to install and then fails?

    Thank you

    P.S. I ran Microsoft Office Diagnostic from the help tab of MS Outlook and under update diagnostic section I got the following message

    Status completed

    Microsoft Office does not need to be updated. No action is necessary.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-12-19T13:49:45+00:00

    Hi Lismro,

    If the troubleshooting steps in this thread did not resolve your issue, create a new thread here.  This will mitigate confusion caused by more than one posting about similar   topics, allowing us to focus on each customer individually.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-12-17T01:02:07+00:00

    This did not work and I am very frustrated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments