Unable to connect to company wireless network after Win7 upgrade

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:58:16+00:00

My company network does not broadcast the SSID, so on Vista I used to manually setup the connection.  However with Win7 64 I keep getting an error that "An unexpected error has occurred"

Dell xpsM1330

Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-20T22:17:06+00:00

Ok, let's see if we can keep this active and get to a fix...

Got an MS POC to give me some info that may help....

I've experienced what many above have, that while I can connect to most wireless networks, including my home wpa2, any time I tried to make a connection my corporate wpa2-enterprise network, no go, and had the errors in the event log. also similar failures whenever I'd try to create any wireless profile manually using wpa-enterprise or wpa2-enterprise.

Note mine was also a machine that got USMT data migrated, and I have a feeling it was responsible for migrating the keys below...

So here was the final fix, and maybe you guys can verify if it's the only thing needed as I'd tried various other things to no avail, but this was the "last" change I made that got things working...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RasMan\PPP\EAP

under here are a number of subkeys with different numeric values....

while I can't tell you specifically what to look for, in my case I noted there was one key pointing at what I'd expect, a ras related key in the windows\system32 dir. however, I also had three other keys pointing to files related to Symantec, which I did not have on my newly built machine.

So I exported keys from a newly built machine, that actually had symantec. it had four keys under EAP, but only one, the last one, was related to Symantec, all others pointed to files in system32.

I imported those keys into my broken machine, deleted the one key that was related to symantec, and without even having to reboot...all was fixed...

so....here's my suggestion, and I hope if this works everyone can feedback so we have more info on if it's the order of the keys or just the presence of bad entries...but I would suggest, starting off by looking at your keys under EAP, and seeing if there's anything referencing dll files that may not exist on your machine.

if you do have these keys, either delete the key, or try to put the file back in place thats being referenced, assuming it's missing.

we'll be doing some more testing internally, so I'll feed back if we have any additional findings.

good luck.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-27T01:02:16+00:00

    I have the exact same issue.   Goto Manage Wireless Networks, Click Add, Enter SSID, Choose WPA2-Enterprise, Keep AES, Click Next, and "Unexpected Errror has Occurred" pops up.    I have latest driver, have completed an SFS /scannow without issue, can connect to free (non-secure) networks without issue.    I also notice an EapHost Error (2002) in the administrative events log: 

    Log Name:      Application

    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-EapHost

    Date:          1/26/2010 6:54:49 PM

    Event ID:      2002

    Task Category: Peer

    Level:         Error

    Keywords:      Registry

    User:          CRMLenovo\moorecr

    Computer:      CRMLenovo

    Description:

    Skipping: Eap method DLL path validation failed. Error: typeId=88, authorId=0, vendorId=0, vendorType=0

    Event Xml:

    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

      <System>

        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-EapHost" Guid="{6EB8DB94-FE96-443F-A366-5FE0CEE7FB1C}" />

        <EventID>2002</EventID>

        <Version>0</Version>

        <Level>2</Level>

        <Task>2</Task>

        <Opcode>0</Opcode>

        <Keywords>0x8000000000000001</Keywords>

        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-01-27T00:54:49.567710400Z" />

        <EventRecordID>10798</EventRecordID>

        <Correlation />

        <Execution ProcessID="3804" ThreadID="3484" />

        <Channel>Application</Channel>

        <Computer>CRMLenovo</Computer>

        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1534759424-1758087930-3567248723-1000" />

      </System>

      <EventData>

        <Data Name="Key Name">Eap method DLL path</Data>

        <Data Name="TypeId">88</Data>

        <Data Name="AuthorId">0</Data>

        <Data Name="VendorId">0</Data>

        <Data Name="VendorType">0</Data>

      </EventData>

    </Event>

    Very frustrating.... any help welcome.


    Chris

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-27T16:08:33+00:00

    Chris,

    What wireless adapter do you have?  If it is the same 4965AGN as I have then I may go and buy a usb one and try it.  I am very screwed by this issue.

    John

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-02-02T21:20:24+00:00

    Buying a USB adapter didn't help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-02-08T13:08:55+00:00

    Cody,

    I´ve got the exact same problem. After having installed W7 (after Vista), the bug turned up. Am connected to a domain using certificate for wlan, using Intel 4965AG, Lenovo T61.

    Tried with update the drivers, checked the certificates, connect to other networks. Cannot use WPA enterprise or more secure connection = get unexpected error and lots of error in the logs ( Skipping: Eap method DLL path validation failed. Error: typeId=88, authorId=0, vendorId=0, vendorType=0).

    There is some problems with the W7 drivers concerning EAP setting.

    We are at least 500 users at my company that use the same settings on the same PC, they don´t got any problems. Of course ;)

    /Stigge

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments