Unable to connect to company wireless network after Win7 upgrade

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:58:16+00:00

My company network does not broadcast the SSID, so on Vista I used to manually setup the connection.  However with Win7 64 I keep getting an error that "An unexpected error has occurred"

Dell xpsM1330

Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-20T22:17:06+00:00

Ok, let's see if we can keep this active and get to a fix...

Got an MS POC to give me some info that may help....

I've experienced what many above have, that while I can connect to most wireless networks, including my home wpa2, any time I tried to make a connection my corporate wpa2-enterprise network, no go, and had the errors in the event log. also similar failures whenever I'd try to create any wireless profile manually using wpa-enterprise or wpa2-enterprise.

Note mine was also a machine that got USMT data migrated, and I have a feeling it was responsible for migrating the keys below...

So here was the final fix, and maybe you guys can verify if it's the only thing needed as I'd tried various other things to no avail, but this was the "last" change I made that got things working...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RasMan\PPP\EAP

under here are a number of subkeys with different numeric values....

while I can't tell you specifically what to look for, in my case I noted there was one key pointing at what I'd expect, a ras related key in the windows\system32 dir. however, I also had three other keys pointing to files related to Symantec, which I did not have on my newly built machine.

So I exported keys from a newly built machine, that actually had symantec. it had four keys under EAP, but only one, the last one, was related to Symantec, all others pointed to files in system32.

I imported those keys into my broken machine, deleted the one key that was related to symantec, and without even having to reboot...all was fixed...

so....here's my suggestion, and I hope if this works everyone can feedback so we have more info on if it's the order of the keys or just the presence of bad entries...but I would suggest, starting off by looking at your keys under EAP, and seeing if there's anything referencing dll files that may not exist on your machine.

if you do have these keys, either delete the key, or try to put the file back in place thats being referenced, assuming it's missing.

we'll be doing some more testing internally, so I'll feed back if we have any additional findings.

good luck.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-10-28T10:00:57+00:00

    Very good find. When I migrated laptops, I tried Microsoft Security Essentials instead of reinstalling Symantec Endpoint.

    One thing I noticed that was interesting was the options in "choose a network authentication method". If you create a test wireless connection with no security then change it to wpa enterprise, the Microsoft PEAP selection is missing.

    Removing security essentials and reinstalling endpoint fixed it. Microsoft PEAP is back and the unexpected error is gone.

    Thank you Orgwizard!!


    MCSE MCDBA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-10-21T15:33:14+00:00

    I'm happy it helped... and now we have one more data point.

    could we get a little more info though...

    did you delete all keys under eap, or did you just find some related to SEP that you deleted?

    was usmt or the files and settings transfer wizard used on the machine?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-10-21T15:02:15+00:00

    Awesome! It worked like a charm for me!

    Interesting though... this PC never saw a Symantec SEP Installation (at least I am not aware of it).

    THANK YOU for your fix!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-10-11T20:54:41+00:00

    Same problem here. Just purchased a new laptop and used the transfer wizard. open wireless works, wpa pwd works but not wpa-enterprise (PEAP). Try to manually create a profile that uses 802.1x, wpa-enterprise and it just crashes saying "an unexpected error occurred".  Updated my wireless drivers and still happening, checked the registry keys and all my eap paths seem legit. Please help!


    MCSE MCDBA

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments