Unable to connect to company wireless network after Win7 upgrade

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:58:16+00:00

My company network does not broadcast the SSID, so on Vista I used to manually setup the connection.  However with Win7 64 I keep getting an error that "An unexpected error has occurred"

Dell xpsM1330

Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-20T22:17:06+00:00

Ok, let's see if we can keep this active and get to a fix...

Got an MS POC to give me some info that may help....

I've experienced what many above have, that while I can connect to most wireless networks, including my home wpa2, any time I tried to make a connection my corporate wpa2-enterprise network, no go, and had the errors in the event log. also similar failures whenever I'd try to create any wireless profile manually using wpa-enterprise or wpa2-enterprise.

Note mine was also a machine that got USMT data migrated, and I have a feeling it was responsible for migrating the keys below...

So here was the final fix, and maybe you guys can verify if it's the only thing needed as I'd tried various other things to no avail, but this was the "last" change I made that got things working...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RasMan\PPP\EAP

under here are a number of subkeys with different numeric values....

while I can't tell you specifically what to look for, in my case I noted there was one key pointing at what I'd expect, a ras related key in the windows\system32 dir. however, I also had three other keys pointing to files related to Symantec, which I did not have on my newly built machine.

So I exported keys from a newly built machine, that actually had symantec. it had four keys under EAP, but only one, the last one, was related to Symantec, all others pointed to files in system32.

I imported those keys into my broken machine, deleted the one key that was related to symantec, and without even having to reboot...all was fixed...

so....here's my suggestion, and I hope if this works everyone can feedback so we have more info on if it's the order of the keys or just the presence of bad entries...but I would suggest, starting off by looking at your keys under EAP, and seeing if there's anything referencing dll files that may not exist on your machine.

if you do have these keys, either delete the key, or try to put the file back in place thats being referenced, assuming it's missing.

we'll be doing some more testing internally, so I'll feed back if we have any additional findings.

good luck.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-06-25T16:04:55+00:00

    Thank you so much!!!  This solved my problem.  I never would have found it myself.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-05-21T18:16:31+00:00

    Many thanks for the steer towards a fix, yet another (IMHO) poorly executed piece of Symantec software - this is what worked for me:

    1. Inspected the key mentioned above - i.e. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\RasMan\PPP\EAP.
    2. In each of the numbered keys look for something like ConfigPathBackup and its corresponding ConfigPath - there were a number of these.
    3. For each I deleted the original Key (e.g. ConfigPath) and reinstated the original by renaming ConfigPathBackup to ConfigPath
    4. For each of these the state is now restored to it pre Symantec state - each of the keys was pointing to a Symantec location that no longer existed and by restoring the backup key path all was well

    At least the backup key path was in place, but these should have been reinstated when Symantec was unistalled.

    I suspect this happened when I had to install Symantec whilst working for a client, when I cam to unistall it I couldn't due to password protection so I had to forcibly remove it using the Symantec Removal Tool (very handy) - I suspect the removal tool did a reasonable job of removal but did not reinstate these keys.

    Many many many thanks to Orgwizard, without the pointer to the key that had the problem I would never have resolved this.

    I think, but cant be sure that I used the settings transfer wizard on this machine to move settings to Windows 7.

    Thanks,

     

     

     

    This was the ticket! Thank you!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-02-01T16:30:22+00:00

    The 4 steps defined by Brian Klish resolved my issue. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more