Unable to connect to company wireless network after Win7 upgrade

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:58:16+00:00

My company network does not broadcast the SSID, so on Vista I used to manually setup the connection.  However with Win7 64 I keep getting an error that "An unexpected error has occurred"

Dell xpsM1330

Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-20T22:17:06+00:00

Ok, let's see if we can keep this active and get to a fix...

Got an MS POC to give me some info that may help....

I've experienced what many above have, that while I can connect to most wireless networks, including my home wpa2, any time I tried to make a connection my corporate wpa2-enterprise network, no go, and had the errors in the event log. also similar failures whenever I'd try to create any wireless profile manually using wpa-enterprise or wpa2-enterprise.

Note mine was also a machine that got USMT data migrated, and I have a feeling it was responsible for migrating the keys below...

So here was the final fix, and maybe you guys can verify if it's the only thing needed as I'd tried various other things to no avail, but this was the "last" change I made that got things working...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RasMan\PPP\EAP

under here are a number of subkeys with different numeric values....

while I can't tell you specifically what to look for, in my case I noted there was one key pointing at what I'd expect, a ras related key in the windows\system32 dir. however, I also had three other keys pointing to files related to Symantec, which I did not have on my newly built machine.

So I exported keys from a newly built machine, that actually had symantec. it had four keys under EAP, but only one, the last one, was related to Symantec, all others pointed to files in system32.

I imported those keys into my broken machine, deleted the one key that was related to symantec, and without even having to reboot...all was fixed...

so....here's my suggestion, and I hope if this works everyone can feedback so we have more info on if it's the order of the keys or just the presence of bad entries...but I would suggest, starting off by looking at your keys under EAP, and seeing if there's anything referencing dll files that may not exist on your machine.

if you do have these keys, either delete the key, or try to put the file back in place thats being referenced, assuming it's missing.

we'll be doing some more testing internally, so I'll feed back if we have any additional findings.

good luck.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-06T02:01:04+00:00

    I am not sure that it will help with the lost network connectivity (for that I am lucky that the built-in troubleshooter in Win 7 has always worked).

    But for people tired of all those eaphost 2002 errors: go to the registry and look under

    HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Eaphost\Methods

    Some of the keys and subkeys in that section will match the AuthorIDs and TypeIDs in the detailed XML view of the error seen in Event Viewer. You will see that in each case a path setting points to a non-existant folder (and dll file). These keys were possibly carried over in the easy transfer process. They may also be the result of poor set-up routines by a maunfacturer that does not bother to tailor the driver installation for different configurations of a computer model that is sold with various wifi options. (It is easier for them to install all the drivers leaving you with the performance penalty and error messages. Most users will not know the difference, or if they ask they will be told "Don't worry, the event log shows errors that are not really errors".)

    In my experience each key with an incorrect path reference can be deleted. Back up first, just in case it does not work for you! Before you start deleting, note that you should still be left with one working key with a correct path reference for your current WiFi setup. 

    That should get rid of the 2002 errors.

    In my case, I removed Keys 17 and 25, were traces of CISCO Drivers installed from REALTEK N300 Wi-Fi PCI-E Drivers

    Thanks you Very much

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-19T20:31:20+00:00

    Thank you so much for posting this!!

    We are testing a Surface Pro with win 8 pro and I ran into the same issue, not sure if these keys are coming from GP or not (we still have Symantec but I didn't roll it out to this win 8 tablet).

    This fixed my issues as well, no reboot necessary kill the Symantec reg keys listed above and import a reg file from a working computer.

    Yay! I was just about to give up..

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-23T19:30:26+00:00

    I experienced this problem today. I implemented the fix suggested by Plunder on 12/14/2010, which resolved the issue after restart.

    Shawn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-06-28T17:18:14+00:00

    Same issue, same solution !

    Many thanks ! I kept a very important time.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments