Unable to connect to company wireless network after Win7 upgrade

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:58:16+00:00

My company network does not broadcast the SSID, so on Vista I used to manually setup the connection.  However with Win7 64 I keep getting an error that "An unexpected error has occurred"

Dell xpsM1330

Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-20T22:17:06+00:00

Ok, let's see if we can keep this active and get to a fix...

Got an MS POC to give me some info that may help....

I've experienced what many above have, that while I can connect to most wireless networks, including my home wpa2, any time I tried to make a connection my corporate wpa2-enterprise network, no go, and had the errors in the event log. also similar failures whenever I'd try to create any wireless profile manually using wpa-enterprise or wpa2-enterprise.

Note mine was also a machine that got USMT data migrated, and I have a feeling it was responsible for migrating the keys below...

So here was the final fix, and maybe you guys can verify if it's the only thing needed as I'd tried various other things to no avail, but this was the "last" change I made that got things working...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RasMan\PPP\EAP

under here are a number of subkeys with different numeric values....

while I can't tell you specifically what to look for, in my case I noted there was one key pointing at what I'd expect, a ras related key in the windows\system32 dir. however, I also had three other keys pointing to files related to Symantec, which I did not have on my newly built machine.

So I exported keys from a newly built machine, that actually had symantec. it had four keys under EAP, but only one, the last one, was related to Symantec, all others pointed to files in system32.

I imported those keys into my broken machine, deleted the one key that was related to symantec, and without even having to reboot...all was fixed...

so....here's my suggestion, and I hope if this works everyone can feedback so we have more info on if it's the order of the keys or just the presence of bad entries...but I would suggest, starting off by looking at your keys under EAP, and seeing if there's anything referencing dll files that may not exist on your machine.

if you do have these keys, either delete the key, or try to put the file back in place thats being referenced, assuming it's missing.

we'll be doing some more testing internally, so I'll feed back if we have any additional findings.

good luck.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-02T20:20:40+00:00

    I recently re-imaged my work computer and had the same issue. We setup the enterprise wireless profile using a GPO and I was able to connect after re-imaging and updating policy. However, after running Windows Easy Transfer (WET) to import my profile, it stopped working and I had issues similar to “Orgwizard”. Importing the keys from a working system may have worked, but I compared my keys against a working system and noticed that each numeric sub key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RasMan\PPP\EAP for Symantec Endpoint Protection (13 and 25 for me) had blank entries for the backup keys. For example the ConfigUiPath key would point to the Symantec directory, but the ConfigUiPathBackup key was blank. This was true for IdentityPathBackup, InteractiveUIPathBackup, and PathBackup in both numeric sub keys. On the working computer these backup keys all pointed to C:\Windows\System32\rastls.dll. So once I put in the correct path, I was able to connect to my corporate Wi-Fi again. I am not sure what part of the WET process is touching these keys, but it is defiantly a bug in WET. I hope this helps others with similar issues. We also use SCCM User State Migration Tool (USMT), but haven’t had any reported issues with it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-18T18:42:59+00:00

    This worked perfectly.

    The trouble computer had the transfer wizard done.

    I deleted the key that was specific to Symantec.

    Thank you for the excellent solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-03-10T11:41:04+00:00

    You Sir are a legend

    Local Support re-imaged 3 machines trying to resolve this issue :)

    Thank You!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-12T12:40:02+00:00

    Found it!

    The problem is probably about the data saved about the following network.

    Go to start menu>control panel>network and internet> network and sharing center>manage wireless networks>delete the network you have a problem with then simply restart your computer and thats it.


    I wish that was helpful.

    Thanks!  After much reading of posts, I simply deleted all my networks.  Then searched for available networks, connected, and it asked for the password.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments