Unable to connect to company wireless network after Win7 upgrade

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:58:16+00:00

My company network does not broadcast the SSID, so on Vista I used to manually setup the connection.  However with Win7 64 I keep getting an error that "An unexpected error has occurred"

Dell xpsM1330

Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-20T22:17:06+00:00

Ok, let's see if we can keep this active and get to a fix...

Got an MS POC to give me some info that may help....

I've experienced what many above have, that while I can connect to most wireless networks, including my home wpa2, any time I tried to make a connection my corporate wpa2-enterprise network, no go, and had the errors in the event log. also similar failures whenever I'd try to create any wireless profile manually using wpa-enterprise or wpa2-enterprise.

Note mine was also a machine that got USMT data migrated, and I have a feeling it was responsible for migrating the keys below...

So here was the final fix, and maybe you guys can verify if it's the only thing needed as I'd tried various other things to no avail, but this was the "last" change I made that got things working...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RasMan\PPP\EAP

under here are a number of subkeys with different numeric values....

while I can't tell you specifically what to look for, in my case I noted there was one key pointing at what I'd expect, a ras related key in the windows\system32 dir. however, I also had three other keys pointing to files related to Symantec, which I did not have on my newly built machine.

So I exported keys from a newly built machine, that actually had symantec. it had four keys under EAP, but only one, the last one, was related to Symantec, all others pointed to files in system32.

I imported those keys into my broken machine, deleted the one key that was related to symantec, and without even having to reboot...all was fixed...

so....here's my suggestion, and I hope if this works everyone can feedback so we have more info on if it's the order of the keys or just the presence of bad entries...but I would suggest, starting off by looking at your keys under EAP, and seeing if there's anything referencing dll files that may not exist on your machine.

if you do have these keys, either delete the key, or try to put the file back in place thats being referenced, assuming it's missing.

we'll be doing some more testing internally, so I'll feed back if we have any additional findings.

good luck.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-20T17:39:00+00:00

    This one fixed me. Thanks.

    My issue was migwiz decided to transfer Symantic antivirus related entries from a 32bit install to a 64bit install with Symantec endpoint protection. Found the dll the entries referenced and corrected the paths in the offending keys and after a reboot, all was working again.

    I know it's almost 5 years after your post, but thanks again for the pointer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-05T22:44:07+00:00

    I compared the registry entries of my working PC, and non working PC, and these keys were exactly the same on both machines.  Line for Line, Exactly the same.  I exported, Imported, and it fixed the issue.  I'm soooo angry I didn't print the key on the one that was broken so that I could compare.  Where I work, 24 deskside technicians have been working with this for months.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-01-14T07:09:25+00:00

    Wow it did magic... superb thank you....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-08-29T03:09:17+00:00

    Thanks all on this forum very much for helping me solve a difficult problem with my daughter's 2013 HP Envy laptop 15z running Win 8.1! She was unable to connect to her University's WPA2-Enterprise WiFi network. The IT help at her school hit a road block and advised her to reinstall the OS. With your assistance I was able to talk her through a regedit session over the phone and fix several EAP keys. 

    Her error message: "Windows has encountered an error saving the EAP properties. Specific error: The request is not supported."

    Her new Win 8.1 64 bit machine has Symantec Endpoint Protection-64 bit installed. When I set up this new machine I easy transferred her data and USMT data from an older Win-32 bit machine with SEP 32-bit installed. What I found in error was that all the EAP Key Backup settings (ConfigUiPathBackup, IdentityPathBackup, InteractiveUIPathBackup, PathBackup) were pointing to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.4112.4156.105\Bin\SymRasMan.dll".   Her primary keys were set to point to the correct SEP 64-bit SymRasMan64.dll file and location.

    I used my home Win 7 64-bit machine also running the same version of SEP 64-bit as a reference and observed that all it's EAP backup key settings were set to "C:\Windows\System32\rastls.dll"

    I had her change her EAP backup key settings to match mine and problem solved. Her machine had 4 EAP Keys, numbered 13, 25, 26, and 88; we made the same edits to each.

    So, in our instance, 2 example correct entries were:

    Name:            InteractiveUIPath

      Type:            REG_EXPAND_SZ

      Data:            C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.4112.4156.105\Bin64\SymRasMan64.dll

    Name:            InteractiveUIPathBackup

      Type:            REG_SZ

      Data:            C:\Windows\System32\rastls.dll

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments