Unable to connect to company wireless network after Win7 upgrade

Anonymous
2009-11-06T21:58:16+00:00

My company network does not broadcast the SSID, so on Vista I used to manually setup the connection.  However with Win7 64 I keep getting an error that "An unexpected error has occurred"

Dell xpsM1330

Intel WiFi Link 4965AGN

Any help would be appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-20T22:17:06+00:00

Ok, let's see if we can keep this active and get to a fix...

Got an MS POC to give me some info that may help....

I've experienced what many above have, that while I can connect to most wireless networks, including my home wpa2, any time I tried to make a connection my corporate wpa2-enterprise network, no go, and had the errors in the event log. also similar failures whenever I'd try to create any wireless profile manually using wpa-enterprise or wpa2-enterprise.

Note mine was also a machine that got USMT data migrated, and I have a feeling it was responsible for migrating the keys below...

So here was the final fix, and maybe you guys can verify if it's the only thing needed as I'd tried various other things to no avail, but this was the "last" change I made that got things working...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\RasMan\PPP\EAP

under here are a number of subkeys with different numeric values....

while I can't tell you specifically what to look for, in my case I noted there was one key pointing at what I'd expect, a ras related key in the windows\system32 dir. however, I also had three other keys pointing to files related to Symantec, which I did not have on my newly built machine.

So I exported keys from a newly built machine, that actually had symantec. it had four keys under EAP, but only one, the last one, was related to Symantec, all others pointed to files in system32.

I imported those keys into my broken machine, deleted the one key that was related to symantec, and without even having to reboot...all was fixed...

so....here's my suggestion, and I hope if this works everyone can feedback so we have more info on if it's the order of the keys or just the presence of bad entries...but I would suggest, starting off by looking at your keys under EAP, and seeing if there's anything referencing dll files that may not exist on your machine.

if you do have these keys, either delete the key, or try to put the file back in place thats being referenced, assuming it's missing.

we'll be doing some more testing internally, so I'll feed back if we have any additional findings.

good luck.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  2. Anonymous
    2010-07-13T16:27:45+00:00

    I am getting this same issue, We have Windows 7 installed on all our computers.  Recently we bought a batch of 10 new comptuers, after putting 2 of these new laptops in place I discovered this problem.

    After much troubleshooting I have discovered the problem is not the drivers or the laptops themself.  It is in fact Windows Easy Transfer has caused it. the 2 computers that are having the problem I used windows easy transfer to migrate user files but apparently it also transfered a comptuer setting that makes this happen.  I have created new user profiles on the computer but still have the same problem.  So the issue has to be some computer setting.

    I am now stuck on finding a way to fix this on the 2 computers that I used easy transfer to migrate files.

    As well I will have to find a way to migrate user files/settings on the other 8 machines without having it cause the same error.

    Also I have been looking everywhere to find a way to fix this problem, I am finding many people with the same problem but to no resolve.

    We need more help.

    Anyone?

    Edit:  Durring the easy transfer proccess if you deslect the shared stuff and only the user profile/s it will not hose up the wireless network.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-06-15T01:03:05+00:00

    I have the same problem after upgrading windows 7 home premium to ultimate.

    My machine is a Hp 60 230us.

    I have the drivers on the hp website installed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-04-23T17:01:50+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments