When I boot I get the following msg: "error: no such partition" followed by "Grub rescue"

Anonymous
2010-08-16T00:35:04+00:00

Original Title:grub rescue?

I deleted the Linux partition on my hard drive.  The windows partition is still there.  When I boot I get the following msg:

error: no such partition

grub rescue>

alright, so I install Windows 7 media and I boot,  I choose  "Repair your computer," and it searches for my windows installations and then there is Windows 7 highlighted to use recovery tools.

 I am presented with either "Next>" or "Load Drivers," and I choose "Next>" , and then I choose "Startup Repair"

After Startup Repair, it momentarily searches for the problem, and I get the msg "Startup Repair could not detect a problem."

I am forced to choose "Finish" and reboot but then I am back to step 1 and when I boot I get the same msg: "error: no such partition.  grub rescue>"

Going through the same process, Recovery Tool "System Restore" does appear to be a viable option.  It identifies a restore point, and I haven't tried it because I'll lose some data.

Is there some other way to fix this problem so windows will boot?

Windows for home | Windows 10 | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-17T20:20:11+00:00

Hi, I just wanted to add that I only did this:

I put in my windows 7 disk and used the command prompt there then used this (Thanks JW and bunch!)

f) Now from the menu list select the ‘Command Prompt’ option.

g) At the DOS prompt type the following three commands:

bootrec.exe  /fixmbr

bootrec.exe  /fixboot (may return an 'Eliment not found' message)

bootrec.exe  /RebuildBcd

Then I exited and restarted.  It then started windows normally.

One more thanks to JW for the steps, I was just wanting to add that I wound up not needing to do the extra steps here.  I had the same issue (where I had deleted Linux and grub still tries to come to up)

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-03-13T21:27:44+00:00

    You need a hard drive utility that will write all zeros (00000....) to the front/begining of the drive. This will remove a traces of Grub. Western Digital has this feature as I use it from time to time, as for the other drive manufactures you need to check for this option.

    Hard drive Testing - Bootable CD:

    Anywhere from 5 to 20%, (depending on the manufacture) of new hard drives are defective. Test your drive using the manufacture's utility. If you have a new Seagate hard drive the very next thing would be to download Seagate's Seatools (the bootable CD) and check for bad sectors:

    http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?locale=en-US&name=SeaTools&vgnextoid=720bd20cacdec010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

    For Western Digital drives download the WdDiag .iso file: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=611&sid=30&lang=en

    Samsung's Estool: http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/ES_Tool.html

    Samsung's Disk manager software: http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/utilities/shdiag.htm

    Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test software: http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

    Diagnostic tool available for use by customers who feel their Fujitsu Branded Toshiba hard drive:

    http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesandSupport/WarrantySupport/SoftwareUtilities

    Fujitsu's Notice of drive Utilities suport: http://www.fujitsu.com/us/services/computing/storage/hdd/

    Toshiba bootable CD: (DOS Diagnostic Tool Ver. 7.0 For IDE/ATA/SATA Hard Drives)

    http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

    JS

    http://www.pagestart.com


    Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

    Hello J S

    I have the same problem from here, I could not solve my problem.

    I removed a partition (Linux Obunta) and now I can not run my windows OS.

    I am using a netbook which does not have a CD rom, and I also don't see F4 in the begining when system boot.

    So, it goes directly to grub rescue and from then I can do nothing. Could you please help me with netbook. Please also note that it doesnot have a Floppy disck or CD rom.

    Even I copied one of my windows Cds on USB steak and I tried to boot from "Removable stu.." but again it does not work.

    This is my netbook

    http://www.amazon.de/1215T-Netbook-Sempron-250GB-silber/dp/B004DZPQDO/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1330891412&sr=1-3

    Cold you please also help me.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-03-13T21:48:25+00:00

    I have a very similar problem.  I recently deleted my partition that had Linux Ubuntu on it, while maintaining Windows 7 Starter on a separate partition.  Upon restarting my computer, I got the same message  "error: unknown filesystem; grub rescue>"  I've looked at all of these steps suggested that would help solve the problem.  I just have one question... I have a netbook, how can I do this without cd-drive?

    I already have formatted an 8GB thumbdrive to FAT32 and downloaded Windows 7 Pro OS (upgrade from 'current' Windows OS) on it, and I have a valid product key.  Even if I change my BIOS to boot my "removable Device" first, it still doesn't recognize my thumbdrive.  I'm stuck.  What do I need to do to make this thing work?!?!?!

    Hi Fly04002

    Were you able to fix your problem. I have exatly the same problem. A netbook, no floppy disk, no CD. I also can not see F4 on first page.

    Also when I put first boot on "Removeable steak", again I can not boot from USB and I get the same error.

    Please let me know how did you fix your problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-03-22T09:48:04+00:00

    I had the same problem and SOLVED IT. It works with CDs or USB Flash drives.

    Here's how:

    1. Go to this web page and follow the steps: 

    http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenance/windows-wont-load-system-repair-disc-fix-pc/

    1. Once you can access the command prompt type:

    bootrec /fixmbr

    press enter and type:

    bootrec /fixboot

    press enter.

    If you want more information about what is this you can go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

    1. Close the command prompt and restart the computer. Boot from your computer, not the usb.

    It should work now. I hope it helps!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-22T13:32:36+00:00

    I had the same problem and SOLVED IT. It works with CDs or USB Flash drives.

    Here's how:

    1. Go to this web page and follow the steps: 

    http://mintywhite.com/windows-7/7maintenance/windows-wont-load-system-repair-disc-fix-pc/

    1. Once you can access the command prompt type:

    bootrec /fixmbr

    press enter and type:

    bootrec /fixboot

    press enter.

    If you want more information about what is this you can go here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

    1. Close the command prompt and restart the computer. Boot from your computer, not the usb.

    It should work now. I hope it helps!

    Hi Oye Beto7

    Thank you this was great, it work for me and solved my problem.

    best regards

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments