Windows Update Error: 80080005

Anonymous
2009-04-15T23:58:16+00:00

Hello,

I have done pretty much everything under the sun to try and solve this issue I am having. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and I'm experiencing this issue of not being able to retreive any Windows Updates. I will say that my family is running on a Linksys router and I have been told that the router does have Norton Software builtin. Could this be the issue? I have gone through numerous tutorials but none of them have resolved my issue!

Also, another family member of mine is using Windows XP and whenever they go to Windows Update, they get lead to Google. I think after researching this issue, we found out that they possibly have a bug of some sort. If anyone on here could please help me out with other possibilites on how to fix these problems or at least mine, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks


Jordan Montgomery

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-04-20T03:00:33+00:00

Hi Jordan,

It is possible that it could be corrupted. Let’s use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to see if it can find any missing or corrupted system files. If so, it will attempt to repair and/or replace them.  Follow these steps to run an SFC scan:

1.       Click Start

2.       In ‘Start Search’ type cmd, then right-click cmd and click Run as administrator (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

3.       At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER

When the SFC scan is complete test to see if the issue is resolved.

 I’m also wondering if Norton is playing a part in this issue. Is there any way you can disable it, or better yet uninstall it (if you have the means to reinstall it afterwards). If you do decided to uninstall it, be sure to use the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of any leftover bits and pieces.

We look forward to hearing back from you on your results.


Brian

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-30T12:56:06+00:00

    The webpage URL that helped me is - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959077/en-us .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-12T12:34:07+00:00

    The same problem is going in my system. i have tried the above solution but could not get any solution.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-09-12T13:17:35+00:00

    I tried EVERYTHING for almost a year.  The entire time I was running without updates!  I finally broke down and took my laptop to a local computer store.  They said my only choice was to completely delete my operating system and start over..  They backed up all of my data and was able to re-install.  I lost no data.  Of course, I had to reinstall all of my programs.  Whew finally!!!! I am able to quickly update my computer.  Good Luck :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-13T14:30:05+00:00

    I had this issue with my new Windows 7 machine and worked for several days with Microsoft support to get it resolved after spending literally MONTHS trying to find a solution myself.  Finally, after escalating the problem through the hierarchy of engineering/ systems at Microsoft, the solution was discovered to be a missing Intel driver for my processor.  Once the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" driver was downloaded and installed, and my computer restarted, all problems with Windows update were solved.  I don't know if this will help anyone else, I just thought I'd put it out there for anyone who might be banging their heads on their desk after trying literally everything as I had, trying to solve this issue.

    Kay McEntire

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments