Windows Update Error: 80080005

Anonymous
2009-04-15T23:58:16+00:00

Hello,

I have done pretty much everything under the sun to try and solve this issue I am having. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and I'm experiencing this issue of not being able to retreive any Windows Updates. I will say that my family is running on a Linksys router and I have been told that the router does have Norton Software builtin. Could this be the issue? I have gone through numerous tutorials but none of them have resolved my issue!

Also, another family member of mine is using Windows XP and whenever they go to Windows Update, they get lead to Google. I think after researching this issue, we found out that they possibly have a bug of some sort. If anyone on here could please help me out with other possibilites on how to fix these problems or at least mine, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks


Jordan Montgomery

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-04-20T03:00:33+00:00

Hi Jordan,

It is possible that it could be corrupted. Let’s use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to see if it can find any missing or corrupted system files. If so, it will attempt to repair and/or replace them.  Follow these steps to run an SFC scan:

1.       Click Start

2.       In ‘Start Search’ type cmd, then right-click cmd and click Run as administrator (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

3.       At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER

When the SFC scan is complete test to see if the issue is resolved.

 I’m also wondering if Norton is playing a part in this issue. Is there any way you can disable it, or better yet uninstall it (if you have the means to reinstall it afterwards). If you do decided to uninstall it, be sure to use the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of any leftover bits and pieces.

We look forward to hearing back from you on your results.


Brian

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-30T12:56:06+00:00

    The webpage URL that helped me is - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959077/en-us .

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-01-25T22:17:57+00:00

    I'm haveing the same problem with the same type of equipment. I've found they have stopped support for our older computers, and seems like you have to go out and pay a professional. PC Cleaners just wanted to rip me off for more money than the computer is worth. Only thing I know to do is backup the items on your computer, run systom restore, or completely download windows Vista software. To Upgrade to windows 8 is too expensive for this computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-19T23:28:51+00:00

    Reply for Radiorancher and my solution was drastic, but when all else failed....I ended up installing a new harddrive as Scannow failed, system file checker, Trusted Installer(Windows Module Installer-CRITICAL) and problems with Windows Update.  I'd go to view my "installed updates" and nothing was there, I couldn't access "turn windows features on or off" and I followed everyone's advice on this forum-sadly with no luck. So, I threw in the towel and put the new harddrive in and as much as it was a pain, my laptop works better than when I first forked out the big bucks for it 18 months ago! It has all the "BELLS AND WHISTLES".  I was at the end of the rope and rather than go buy a new laptop, put in the harddrive(which also got rid of a bunch of useless OEM stuff I didn't need). So, for some people this great community's contributors were able to help, but I couldn't get anywhere. That TRUSTED INSTALLER is a must and of course, the Windows Installer.  Anyhow, this was a drastic measure to have to take, but after five months of trying everything, it ended up being the best solution for me.  It's a little more involved as to why everything got messed up to begin with, but I don't want to use this site and go after how I got suckered-in to being a "Beta Tester" for a new service my computer manufacturer rolled out and I, of all people, should have known better. Live and learn. I hope you find a solution to your dilemma without having to do what I did, but I'm glad in some ways it came to putting a new HD in! It sure beat the cost of having to buy a comparable laptop and all I had to do was use my portable HD, transfer all the gooddies I needed over to it and within less than a day, I was better than NEW! Yes, it's the course of last resort, but five months of hounding the community, spending hours on web searches and all that crazy stuff, finally ended. Good luck to you and I hope you find a way to "recover" that's not a new HD, but it was my only option.

    LindaSView aka "Security-4-the Tech-No Speak"(TM)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-19T03:19:24+00:00

    I have exactly the same problem going on as Jordan.  I just tried the scan below and this is what the screen says:

    "WINDOWS RESOURCE PROTECTION FOUND CORRUPT FILES BUT WAS UNABLE TO FIX SOME OF THEM.  DETAILS ARE INCLUDED IN THE CBS.LOG WINDIR\LOGS\CBS\CBS.LOG"

    ANY OTHER IDEAS?  I AM ABOUT TO PULL MY HAIR OUT!

    THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,

    RADIORANCHER ****

    Hi Jordan,

    It is possible that it could be corrupted. Let’s use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to see if it can find any missing or corrupted system files. If so, it will attempt to repair and/or replace them.  Follow these steps to run an SFC scan:

    1.       Click Start

    2.       In ‘Start Search’ type cmd, then right-click cmd and click Run as administrator (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

    3.       At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER

    When the SFC scan is complete test to see if the issue is resolved.

     I’m also wondering if Norton is playing a part in this issue. Is there any way you can disable it, or better yet uninstall it (if you have the means to reinstall it afterwards). If you do decided to uninstall it, be sure to use the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of any leftover bits and pieces.

    We look forward to hearing back from you on your results.


    Brian

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments