Windows Update Error: 80080005

Anonymous
2009-04-15T23:58:16+00:00

Hello,

I have done pretty much everything under the sun to try and solve this issue I am having. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and I'm experiencing this issue of not being able to retreive any Windows Updates. I will say that my family is running on a Linksys router and I have been told that the router does have Norton Software builtin. Could this be the issue? I have gone through numerous tutorials but none of them have resolved my issue!

Also, another family member of mine is using Windows XP and whenever they go to Windows Update, they get lead to Google. I think after researching this issue, we found out that they possibly have a bug of some sort. If anyone on here could please help me out with other possibilites on how to fix these problems or at least mine, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks


Jordan Montgomery

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-04-20T03:00:33+00:00

Hi Jordan,

It is possible that it could be corrupted. Let’s use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to see if it can find any missing or corrupted system files. If so, it will attempt to repair and/or replace them.  Follow these steps to run an SFC scan:

1.       Click Start

2.       In ‘Start Search’ type cmd, then right-click cmd and click Run as administrator (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

3.       At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER

When the SFC scan is complete test to see if the issue is resolved.

 I’m also wondering if Norton is playing a part in this issue. Is there any way you can disable it, or better yet uninstall it (if you have the means to reinstall it afterwards). If you do decided to uninstall it, be sure to use the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of any leftover bits and pieces.

We look forward to hearing back from you on your results.


Brian

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-06T04:23:55+00:00

    Hi Brian, 

    I had the same issue on one of my client PC's. I followed these simple steps to get it working. 

    1. run CMD as administrator 

    i. type the following without the quotes: "net start trustedinstaller"

    and try running "sfr /scannow" again. 

    if that doesn't work. try the following

    The error message i received when attempting to start the trustedinstaller was "System error 126 has occurred"

    This was due to the fact that someone had installed one of those registry cleaners corrupting everything. It is also possible for virus' cause this.

    I removed this program followed by a CCleaner registry clean. Rebooted the PC and followed the following steps:

    1. Click on the Start  button and in the search box, type regedit
    2. When you see regedit on the list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
    3. In the left hand panel of regedit, you will see a list of registry keys. Navigate to the following key, right-click on it and select Permissions...:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing 4. Click Advanced. 5. Under the Owner tab, click Edit. 6. Click "Other Users and Groups". 7. Click Advanced. 8. Click "Find Now". 9. Scroll down and double click on Everyone. 10. Click OK. 11. Put the check in "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", click Apply then change to thePermissions tab. 12. Under type Deny, single click on any entries and click Remove. (N.B.: There may not be any Deny entries, in which case just ignore this step. Just remove any that do exist) 13. Click Edit (now on the standard file Property window under the Security tab). 14. Click Add. 15. Click Advanced. 16. Click "Find Now". 17. Scroll down and double click on Everyone. 18. Click OK. 19. Single click on Everyone and then tick the "Full Control" box under Allow. 20. Click OK TWO times.

    Once i had given my self full permission to this registry path, i had exported HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Versionfrom another known windows registry and imported it to the computer i was having issues with.

    Once all of that was done, i was then able to re-start the PC, run SFC /SCANNOW and do windows updates. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-09-19T16:25:38+00:00

    Hi Jordan,

    I had this problem on my new Windows 7 computer and fought with it for over a year.  I finally resolved the issue by downloading and installing the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver and application for my Intel processor.  I'm not sure why this worked but it did resolve my issues with this same error code, and my computer will now automatically retrieve all my Windows Updates now.

    Hope this helps

    Sincerely,

    Kay McEntire

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-09-18T01:11:07+00:00

    Hello, I tried using your solution and cmd then prompted me saying: "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service" please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-09-17T15:55:14+00:00

    Hey there! 

    I have had the same error with updates and have had my laptop blue screen and it's almost usable.

    Windows update error 80080005 

    Checked for malware, nothing.

    I tried doing the "scf/scannow"  but it came up as

    "windows resource protection could not start the repair"

    also blue screened with " driver_irql_not_less_or_equal"

    I bought this laptop brand new would love help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments