Windows Update Error: 80080005

Anonymous
2009-04-15T23:58:16+00:00

Hello,

I have done pretty much everything under the sun to try and solve this issue I am having. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and I'm experiencing this issue of not being able to retreive any Windows Updates. I will say that my family is running on a Linksys router and I have been told that the router does have Norton Software builtin. Could this be the issue? I have gone through numerous tutorials but none of them have resolved my issue!

Also, another family member of mine is using Windows XP and whenever they go to Windows Update, they get lead to Google. I think after researching this issue, we found out that they possibly have a bug of some sort. If anyone on here could please help me out with other possibilites on how to fix these problems or at least mine, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks


Jordan Montgomery

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-04-20T03:00:33+00:00

Hi Jordan,

It is possible that it could be corrupted. Let’s use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to see if it can find any missing or corrupted system files. If so, it will attempt to repair and/or replace them.  Follow these steps to run an SFC scan:

1.       Click Start

2.       In ‘Start Search’ type cmd, then right-click cmd and click Run as administrator (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

3.       At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER

When the SFC scan is complete test to see if the issue is resolved.

 I’m also wondering if Norton is playing a part in this issue. Is there any way you can disable it, or better yet uninstall it (if you have the means to reinstall it afterwards). If you do decided to uninstall it, be sure to use the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of any leftover bits and pieces.

We look forward to hearing back from you on your results.


Brian

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-04-20T18:13:34+00:00

    Okay, here is the scoop. I've got one XP computer down and one to go (work on). This computer I am working on has a weird case of Windows Update not working. Whenever the user goes to "Windows Update" via the start menu, he gets lead to a fake Google search page. We have reasons to believe that this user has a bug and we've used tools such as the Malicious remover tool from Microsoft,  and that came up with nothing. However, when we performed a scan using the online OneCare Live Scan, it did come up with a few bugs but none of which, after cleaning it out, fixed this issue.

    What's your take?


    Jordan Montgomery

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-04-20T15:36:28+00:00

    Check this link if this helps..

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444

    On a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000, or Windows Server 2003, one or more problems may occur after you install the critical update that is discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-051. These problems include the following:

    • The Windows Installer service may not start.
    • The Windows Firewall Service may not start.
    • The Network Connections folder is empty.
    • The Windows Update Web site may incorrectly recommend that you change the Userdata persistence setting in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
    • Active Server Pages (ASP) pages that are running on Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) return an “HTTP 500 – Internal Server Error” error message.
    • The Microsoft COM+ EventSystem service will not start.
    • COM+ applications will not start.
    • The computers node in the Microsoft Component Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC) tree will not expand.
    • Authenticated users cannot log on, and a blank screen appears after the users apply the October Security Updates.
    • In a server cluster configuration, the cluster service may not start. The following event is logged in the cluster log file: ERR [NM] Couldn't establish connection point with Net Connection Manager, status 80070005. WARN [NM] Couldn't initialize Net Connection Manager advise sink, status 80070005 ERR [NM] Initialization failed -2147024891
    • An event that is similar to the following may be logged in the System log: Event ID: 512

    Source: CryptSvc

    Description:

    The Cryptographic Services service failed to initialize the VSS backup "System Writer" object.

    Details:

    System Writer object failed to subscribe to VSS.

    System Error:

    Catastrophic failure

    • An access denied error may occur when you try to connect to Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) by using script, the WBEMTest.exe utility, or other utilities. The %windir%\system32\wbem\logs\wbemprox.log file contains errors that are similar to the following error at the time of the failure:

    ConnectViaDCOM, CoCreateInstanceEx resulted in hr = 0x80070005

    • You may receive the following COM+ 1.0 catalog error message when you create an empty COM+ application:

    XACT_E_RECOVERYINPROGRESS (0x8004d082)


    Regards, Sohail Patel "MCSE 2003 | ITILv3 | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-04-20T15:20:19+00:00

    Brian, you are a miracle worker my man! You're cmd code cured Windows Update and I am totally up to date on my computer. You don't know how much this means to me, I had 36 updates!! A breath of fresh air is what it is.

    As of Windows XP, Pradeep, I'll get to that ASAP and have the results hopefully later today. Thank you for everyone's help, much obliged!


    Jordan Montgomery

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-04-20T11:36:01+00:00

    Hello Vistauser90,

    For Windows XP, please download the hotfix from the below link.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825118

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments