Windows Update Error: 80080005

Anonymous
2009-04-15T23:58:16+00:00

Hello,

I have done pretty much everything under the sun to try and solve this issue I am having. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium and I'm experiencing this issue of not being able to retreive any Windows Updates. I will say that my family is running on a Linksys router and I have been told that the router does have Norton Software builtin. Could this be the issue? I have gone through numerous tutorials but none of them have resolved my issue!

Also, another family member of mine is using Windows XP and whenever they go to Windows Update, they get lead to Google. I think after researching this issue, we found out that they possibly have a bug of some sort. If anyone on here could please help me out with other possibilites on how to fix these problems or at least mine, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks


Jordan Montgomery

Windows for home | Other | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-04-20T03:00:33+00:00

Hi Jordan,

It is possible that it could be corrupted. Let’s use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to see if it can find any missing or corrupted system files. If so, it will attempt to repair and/or replace them.  Follow these steps to run an SFC scan:

1.       Click Start

2.       In ‘Start Search’ type cmd, then right-click cmd and click Run as administrator (provide administrative credentials if prompted)

3.       At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER

When the SFC scan is complete test to see if the issue is resolved.

 I’m also wondering if Norton is playing a part in this issue. Is there any way you can disable it, or better yet uninstall it (if you have the means to reinstall it afterwards). If you do decided to uninstall it, be sure to use the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of any leftover bits and pieces.

We look forward to hearing back from you on your results.


Brian

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-29T14:20:42+00:00

    I'm having this exact problem as Flavius is mentioning.

    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Versiondoes not exist in my registry, which causes Windows module installer to fail starting with error 126.

    Windows update gives error 80080005

    Also SFC command isn't working (since it depends on the Windows module installer)

    I've tried several suggestions I've read in several forums to no avail (Trustedinstaller fix regfiles, Fixit file from Microsoft, delete Windows/Softwaredistribution folder, etc...

    I've seen in the thread that Flavius mentiones that there is little hope for a fix without reinstalling. I don't have an install disc (OEM Vista Business), so running repair isn't working either. As you probably expect I'd like to avoid restoring to factory installation through the recovery partition.

    Is there any way to construct the needed key?

    Vista Service pack 1

    dutch language

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-09-05T09:46:32+00:00

    If anybody have Windows Update error 80080005 with "Error 126: The specified module could not be found" Windows Modules Installer service & of course SFC command not working:This error relate to corrupted  HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Versionkey or folder which this key point,as you can read this key always point folder:

    C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_<unknow ID> _6.x.xxxx.xx_none_<unknow ID2>

    <unknow ID> and "x" depends from system version and update status,so it's no so simple to reconstruct if this key is corrupted,option with corrupted only pointed folder is also possible.Reason of this error has been found here:http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/234029-cannot-update-anything-80080005-a-3.html

    one guy have completely damaged CBS key,although to cause this error will be enough if only Version subkey is missing

    (see posts 30-32,37 and 41),second guy had only corrupted pointed folder and quite easy fixed (post 44)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-05-09T01:15:04+00:00

    Hi Brian,

    Thanks for posting to answers.microsoft.com

    1. Click Start ORB / in search line type Command / Rightclick Command Prompt select RUN AS AN ADMINISTRATOR / From an elevated  command prompt type : CHKDSK /F /R 

    A message will appear stating "the drive cannot be lockeed, would like to perform this on the next boot? " Select Yes.  Reboot your system and let it run a CHKDSK.  If it finds errors run it again until it finds 0 errors.

    2.  If CHKDSK finds no errors, try running the SFC /SCANNOW command from the Installation Repair area of your DVD.  You boot to the Windows DVD - Perform a System Repair and from the command prompt type SFC /SCANNOW  

    3.  If still no resolve, I would run an INPLACE UPGRADE.  First follow the steps outlined in this article then if necessary follow the INPLACE UPGRADE step which is also listed in the following KB article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

    Please let us know if further assistance is needed involving this issue.

    ,


    Debbie

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2009-05-05T04:43:55+00:00

    Brian,

    I tried the solution you gave to Jordan for Windows Update error 80080005: going to command prompt and using the scannow feature.  It did not work; I got the response: Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service

    I have had this problem on Update Service for Windows for over a year now.  Any more ideas?

    Thanks,

    Brent R Ch

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments