Cannot send email - error message is Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Anonymous
2010-01-16T18:28:13+00:00

I currently use Windows Vista and access my mail via Windows Mail.  When I am connected to my "home" internet router, I can send and receive emails absolutely fine.  When I am away from home and try to connect to a hotel internet router (using a key) or a friends internet router (using a key), I can only receive email and not send.  The error message I get is: The connection to the server has failed.  It then mentions Account, Server, Protocol, Port and Secure (SSL) details followed by Socket Error: 10060 and Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.  Does anyone know why I have a problem when I am away from home?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-22T20:31:08+00:00

Hi MartiniGirl,

This behavior occurs due to the following two causes.

If SSL is unchecked in the Windows Mail Properties, then this issue occurs. If you've already enabled SSL and you still can't send e-mails, your ISP might be blocking the port that you are using for the outgoing server. If this is the case, try 25 or 587 by going into Windows Mail Properties and then clicking on Advanced Tab.

Outgoing Mail SMTP: 25

An invalid server name also causes this error. It should be pop3.live.com for the incoming server while smtp.live.com for outgoing.

In the Windows Mail properties window, click on Server Tab and type the following in the boxes beside Incoming Mail (POP3) and Outgoing Mail (SMTP).

Incoming Mail (POP3): pop3.live.com

Outgoing Mail (SMTP): smtp.live.com

Once you’ve done the following changes, click on apply. Now open Windows Mail and try to send messages.

Also, like Palcouk said you need to check the option Log on using Secure Password Authentication in the logon information.

Here is how you do it.

1.      Under Logon Information, click Log on using.

2.      In the Account name box, type you Windows Mail Member ID (everything before the at sign (@) of your Windows Mail address).

3.      In the Password box, type your Windows Mail account password.

4.      Click to select the Log on using Secure Password Authentication check box.

5.      Click OK to close the Outgoing Mail Server dialog box.

6.      Click OK to close the <Mail Account> Properties dialog box.

7.      Click Close.

Post your results back.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think


[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-26T15:22:05+00:00

Looks like you are running into a port 25 block. When you got that error message, was your Internet connection being obtained from Vodafone?

If not, what you experienced is normal. As a general rule, the owner of the SMTP server you are using must be the same as the entity providing

your Internet connection at that moment. For more on this anti-spamming issue see

http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx

The available workarounds are as follows:

  1. Use webmail for sending (via your browser).
  2. Ask Vodafone if they have a port other than '25' for SMTP.
  3. If you frequently send from multiple locations, get a free Gmail account,

configure it for POP access, set it up in Windows Mail, and use that for

your sending chores. Gmail uses port 465 for SMTP, which is not blocked

like port 25 is.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"MartiniGirl" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the offer of help on this one.

Unfortunately, every time I try and copy and paste the error message into here, it doesn't work so below I have written out the message verbatum:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop3.vodafoneathome.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.vodafoneathome.co.uk,' Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

As you can see from the message above, my mail service provider is Vodafone UK.

I hope this is all the information you need but if you need any other details, let me know.

Cheers

Soosie


Gary VanderMolen, MVP (Mail)

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-21T15:58:45+00:00

    I have recently become a responder here, and I will be glad to help you with your sending problem.

    In an earlier post you paraphrased the error message you get when attempting to send while away from home. In order to expedite troubleshooting, I really need to see a verbatim copy of the error message. Right-click on your error message, copy, then paste it into a reply here.

    Failure to send when away from home is actually quite common, due to ISPs implementing port 25 blocking.  For more on this anti-spamming measure see

    http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx

    There are some workarounds available, depending on who your mail service provider is, and exactly what the error message reveals.

    Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

    "MartiniGirl" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

    Hi K.Lion,

    Thanks for all your postings on this very old thread.  The reason I haven't managed to reply until now is I've been away on holiday.  (Only got back yesterday).  Must admit, found it a bit wierd to come back to 13 postings on a 7 month old thread but I'm grateful none the less.

    Unfortunately for me, nothing has changed.  As I didn't get any answers to my final questions, I've just had to put up with things as I didn't know any other way of solving it.  Having read through all the new postings, I have to admit that it all got a bit too technical for me with some of the things you were talking about.  Also, I don't have hotmail so not sure why this got introduced to the debate.

    For me, I am still unable to send emails, utilising Windows Mail, from my own computer when I am away from my home reuter.  Everything is fine when I am using my home reuter.

    Some good news though, the problem I had with some emails going missing does seem to have gone away.  This seems to be because:

    a) I am now receiving many emails that I previously did not receive purely because I changed my Internet Security from McAfee to Kaspersky.  This is slightly worrying as I had no idea that a security package could make emails "disappear" completely!

    b) Technology dictates that there will always be glitches and therefore some emails will just "go missing"!!  For this, I guess there's nothing that anyone can do about that.

    Cheers

    Soosie


    Gary VanderMolen, MVP (Mail)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2010-07-21T19:03:38+00:00

    You're quite welcome Soosie,

    The reason I got involved is that one of the symptoms of my problem was Socket Error 10060, and I found your thread by searching for the error message. The reason Hotmail got into it is that this kind of error is specific to the email account, and in my case it's a Hotmail account I was having the problem with. Without the account information, solving a problem that's caused by incorrect mail settings is "hit or miss".

    So, don't forget to tell Gary who your mail service provider is (if you don't know the exact name, the part of your email address after "@" should be sufficient - e.g., for hotmail it's @hotmail.com, for gmail it's @gmail.com, etc.).

    I went straight from Outlook Express to Windows Live Mail, and haven't had any contact with the program called "Windows Mail"; so I have no idea if it's worth trying to save or not. However, my Internet search tells me Windows Mail was distributed with Windows Vista (which has been a problem in its own right), and that Windows Mail has been superseded by Windows Live Mail (as was Outlook Express), so you might want to switch. I use Windows Live Messenger and Windows Live Mail, which are both part of Windows Live, and which have not been problems (so far). See the note near the beginning of this page:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Working-with-Windows-Mail

    Kent

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments