Cannot send email - error message is Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Anonymous
2010-01-16T18:28:13+00:00

I currently use Windows Vista and access my mail via Windows Mail.  When I am connected to my "home" internet router, I can send and receive emails absolutely fine.  When I am away from home and try to connect to a hotel internet router (using a key) or a friends internet router (using a key), I can only receive email and not send.  The error message I get is: The connection to the server has failed.  It then mentions Account, Server, Protocol, Port and Secure (SSL) details followed by Socket Error: 10060 and Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.  Does anyone know why I have a problem when I am away from home?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-22T20:31:08+00:00

Hi MartiniGirl,

This behavior occurs due to the following two causes.

If SSL is unchecked in the Windows Mail Properties, then this issue occurs. If you've already enabled SSL and you still can't send e-mails, your ISP might be blocking the port that you are using for the outgoing server. If this is the case, try 25 or 587 by going into Windows Mail Properties and then clicking on Advanced Tab.

Outgoing Mail SMTP: 25

An invalid server name also causes this error. It should be pop3.live.com for the incoming server while smtp.live.com for outgoing.

In the Windows Mail properties window, click on Server Tab and type the following in the boxes beside Incoming Mail (POP3) and Outgoing Mail (SMTP).

Incoming Mail (POP3): pop3.live.com

Outgoing Mail (SMTP): smtp.live.com

Once you’ve done the following changes, click on apply. Now open Windows Mail and try to send messages.

Also, like Palcouk said you need to check the option Log on using Secure Password Authentication in the logon information.

Here is how you do it.

1.      Under Logon Information, click Log on using.

2.      In the Account name box, type you Windows Mail Member ID (everything before the at sign (@) of your Windows Mail address).

3.      In the Password box, type your Windows Mail account password.

4.      Click to select the Log on using Secure Password Authentication check box.

5.      Click OK to close the Outgoing Mail Server dialog box.

6.      Click OK to close the <Mail Account> Properties dialog box.

7.      Click Close.

Post your results back.

Mouneshwar R – Microsoft Support


Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think


[If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-07-26T15:22:05+00:00

Looks like you are running into a port 25 block. When you got that error message, was your Internet connection being obtained from Vodafone?

If not, what you experienced is normal. As a general rule, the owner of the SMTP server you are using must be the same as the entity providing

your Internet connection at that moment. For more on this anti-spamming issue see

http://www.postcastserver.com/help/Port_25_Blocking.aspx

The available workarounds are as follows:

  1. Use webmail for sending (via your browser).
  2. Ask Vodafone if they have a port other than '25' for SMTP.
  3. If you frequently send from multiple locations, get a free Gmail account,

configure it for POP access, set it up in Windows Mail, and use that for

your sending chores. Gmail uses port 465 for SMTP, which is not blocked

like port 25 is.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"MartiniGirl" wrote in message news:*** Email address is removed for privacy ***...

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the offer of help on this one.

Unfortunately, every time I try and copy and paste the error message into here, it doesn't work so below I have written out the message verbatum:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject 'test', Account: 'pop3.vodafoneathome.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.vodafoneathome.co.uk,' Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

As you can see from the message above, my mail service provider is Vodafone UK.

I hope this is all the information you need but if you need any other details, let me know.

Cheers

Soosie


Gary VanderMolen, MVP (Mail)

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-01-29T17:00:18+00:00

    Is there anyone able to help me with this issue please as its really frustrating when I keep finding out that certain messages are not making through to my windows mail account.

    Some further assistance would certainly be appreciated please.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-01-29T16:57:28+00:00

    Hi Mouneshwar R,

    Thanks so much for your detailed response.  I hope you don't mind but I need to check out a few things with you as I'm not that proficient in Windows Mail technical issues.  When you say SSL, do you mean the check box "My server requires authenication" located under Tools, Accounts, Mail Properties, Servers tab?  Currently, for me, this box is unchecked.  If I were to check it, it could be that this solves all my problems but I guess I won't be able to find out for sure until I use another router, or can I?

    Your suggestion regarding changing my incoming and outgoing mail servers to pop3.live.com and smtp.live.com seems a little strange as this differs from what I was advised to put in these fields by my ISP.  What effect would changing them to your suggestions have?

    Thanks for any further help you are able to provide.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-01-18T18:52:16+00:00

    You need to amend your mail account setting to support authetication when sending, assuming your ISP supports it

    Thanks for the quick response Palcouk.  By this, do you mean that when I'm away I need to go into Tools, Accounts, Mail Properties, Click on Servers and tick the box for My server requires authenication?  If yes, could I have this ticked at all the times?  You say "assuming your ISP supports it" but is there a reason why they wouldn't support it as I would have thought it should be quite normal to send and receive email while away from home?

    Cheers for any further help you can give.

    Hi Palcouk.  Can you help any further with this one please?  It would be nice to get this resolved.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments