Disable F1,F3, Etc Hotkeys in Windows 7 Enterprise

Anonymous
2009-12-11T23:09:04+00:00

I am trying to figure out if there is some built in way to disable the built in hotkeys in windows 7 enterprise? For instance, when I hit F1 it pops up the help window in windows, or a new tab in firefox with firefox help, f3 opens search window etc. I use these keys for many other things, this is really a problem for me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-29T00:49:07+00:00

IT' actually really simple if You have vista or windows 7. Just in start search bar write "mobility" and look in search results for " Windows mobility center". A window will open. find Fuction key in that and select "Function Key" instead of "multimedia"(or any thing else) and that's it.

  THIS LOCKED MY F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 AND SO ON KEYS. I GOT THIS FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE FROM SOMEONE ELSE THIS SHOULD HELP YOU NIGTHER SMITTER

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-04-05T21:35:21+00:00

    I think I may have something that would help you. I had the same problem with games, and I found a solution through a menu which you can access at startup. For my computer, I had to hit the F10 key while the computer was booting. That brought me to a menu with several tabs and options. On one of them there was an option called action keys or something to that effect. In its original position it makes the F1-F12 keys perform their operations when you push them. If you change it however, it becomes necessary for you to hit the FN key along with the F1-F12 key simultaneously. This fixed the problem for me. It's a little more time consuming to fiddle with the volume, but it's a pretty good trade off. Hopefully that helps.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-04-06T16:13:52+00:00

    Thanks for the reply. But i have already tried that way and still don´t work. I have disable all F keys. But when i play the game the f1 key still open the help menu and the others do another things i cannot explain. Thanks anyway...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-08-03T21:07:13+00:00

    I think I can clarify what the problem is, although I haven't found a solution yet, because this happens to me, as well.

    When playing a full-screen game, the F1 key is supposed to serve a purpose in that game. In the one I play, it's supposed to use a skill bound to the F1 key. Instead, when I hit F1, it minimizes the full-screen game, and opens Windows Help.

    They're looking for a way to STOP Windows Help from popping up when the F1 key is pressed, so that the in-game function is used instead.

    So yes, Windows DOES controll what happens when you press F1 in other programs.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2012-08-03T21:14:43+00:00

    Windows only binds to the F1 (or any F key) if you're holding the Windows Logo button.  For example right now I'm in Google Chrome browser. If I press F1, Google Support opens (Chrome is the program receiving all keystrokes)   If I press Windows+F1, Windows Help opens.

    My guess at this point is either the Windows Logo key is stuck, or (much more likely) there is a keyboard daemon program running that is intercepting the keystrokes.  Dell's "QuickSet" program comes to mind, but other manufacturer's use other applications as well.

    Unfortunately it'd be hard to narrow down unless I was at the computer.  One thing I can recommend is opening up MSCONFIG, going to the startup tab, and disabling anything that either looks like it is a keyboard/hotkey application, or you don't recognize as another needed application.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments