Disable F1,F3, Etc Hotkeys in Windows 7 Enterprise

Anonymous
2009-12-11T23:09:04+00:00

I am trying to figure out if there is some built in way to disable the built in hotkeys in windows 7 enterprise? For instance, when I hit F1 it pops up the help window in windows, or a new tab in firefox with firefox help, f3 opens search window etc. I use these keys for many other things, this is really a problem for me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-29T00:49:07+00:00

IT' actually really simple if You have vista or windows 7. Just in start search bar write "mobility" and look in search results for " Windows mobility center". A window will open. find Fuction key in that and select "Function Key" instead of "multimedia"(or any thing else) and that's it.

  THIS LOCKED MY F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 AND SO ON KEYS. I GOT THIS FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE FROM SOMEONE ELSE THIS SHOULD HELP YOU NIGTHER SMITTER

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-11-17T22:24:03+00:00

    YES YES YES!  THIS WORKED!  THANK YOU!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2010-11-23T18:32:14+00:00

    Glad it helped with a Dell.  I have a Sony and the mobility center provided no results.  I too would like to get rid of Help everytime I press F1.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2010-12-06T07:07:30+00:00

    I have been reading the forums for an answer to this question as well... I am an avid gamer and I too want my function keys back! After a week of browsing the forums here I do have a partial answer and I am hoping for a tech guru on a higher level can help me resolve this very frustrating situation.

    I have confirmed it is a windows 7 feature that prevents us from utulizing our function keys on either a laptop or desktop. I am fullscreened, I did check the windows mobility center, and no I do not want to bind another windows property to it thank you.

    I know that you can change the registry values in the DLL library for the function keys, but I am not confident enough in my abilities to be messing in there with a brand new laptop.

    Is there anyone out there that can link a step by step guide to reassigning the registry for the function keys to be compatible with World Of Warcraft?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2010-12-11T14:15:36+00:00

    I can assure you all this is not the Windows OS problem. If you are using HP netbook or other models, refer to here to disable it:

    http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01894557&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3973865&prodTypeId=321957

    or here, (scroll down and look at the BIOS option, the keyword is "Fn Key Switch")

    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/review/notebooks/hp/mini_5101/315094

    http://www.hpminiguide.com/forum/windows-xp/2364-function-keys.html

    I encounter the exact same problem with a HP netbook, took me about an hour just to figure out what went wrong. Some notebook vendor trying to cut cost by using the function key to control volume, brigthness and other hardware function. Instead of like old time using a seperate function button.

    The problem with this new netbook model is seem like the vendor decided to override the normal Function key, instead of the common way to press "Fn + Function key". Very frustrating when you try to press F5 to refresh your webpage only end up putting the computer to sleep. Any stupid engineer who think out this idea to "Override the Function key to other use and no easy way to turn it off" should suffer some brutal punishment... ;-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments