Disable F1,F3, Etc Hotkeys in Windows 7 Enterprise

Anonymous
2009-12-11T23:09:04+00:00

I am trying to figure out if there is some built in way to disable the built in hotkeys in windows 7 enterprise? For instance, when I hit F1 it pops up the help window in windows, or a new tab in firefox with firefox help, f3 opens search window etc. I use these keys for many other things, this is really a problem for me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-29T00:49:07+00:00

IT' actually really simple if You have vista or windows 7. Just in start search bar write "mobility" and look in search results for " Windows mobility center". A window will open. find Fuction key in that and select "Function Key" instead of "multimedia"(or any thing else) and that's it.

  THIS LOCKED MY F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 AND SO ON KEYS. I GOT THIS FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE FROM SOMEONE ELSE THIS SHOULD HELP YOU NIGTHER SMITTER

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-18T23:12:37+00:00

    Shawn, you are wrong... it IS a windows thing. And our windows keys are not stuck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-07-18T23:39:39+00:00

    Windows has no way to "lock" that key on by itself.  You must have some other program running that does it, possibly running a service.  If that's not it, the keyboard hardware is doing it.

    If you have the special FN keys for things like brightness on your computer, you can verify by testing it as I described - those presses aren't sent to the operating system and won't dismiss the screensaver.

    A way to test if the special function is from a background service is to perform a clean boot.  Open MSCONFIG and disable all startup items and everything on the Services tab (use "hide Microsoft services" first so nothing OS-related is disabled).

    And my original offer still stands.  If you tell me your system model number, I'll help research and pinpoint the issue for you.  I hope I can help.

    -Shawn

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-18T02:53:05+00:00

    You sure seem to be trying to help yet you can't understand that the issue is something everyone already told you is not. The key is stuck, buy another computer? come on mate.

    I have this problem as well.

    I'm not confident enough to enter the bios to do things random strangers suggest.

    It'll be different if Microsoft published an official tutorial.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-01T03:13:04+00:00

    Hi

    you can change the keys like F1,2,  but cannot change windows hot keys,

    if you want to change, select the application in start menu<right click <properties<short cut key<press key of your wish<it prompts for Administrator permission click yes, click ok.

    you can not use windows default shortcuts to other applications , unless the application has been designed accordingly. you may have to use other shortcuts.

    but you can disable full Win+hot keys , it will be disabled totally, and can not use for other application

    Windows Key Shortcuts - Enable or Disable.

    Regards

    Nikhil

    hes not saying that hes saying that he uses that button for other purposes like I have games that require me to push f1 but when I do it takes me out of the game to the windows help and support he just wants to know if  you can turn it of so you can use it

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments