Disable F1,F3, Etc Hotkeys in Windows 7 Enterprise

Anonymous
2009-12-11T23:09:04+00:00

I am trying to figure out if there is some built in way to disable the built in hotkeys in windows 7 enterprise? For instance, when I hit F1 it pops up the help window in windows, or a new tab in firefox with firefox help, f3 opens search window etc. I use these keys for many other things, this is really a problem for me.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-10-29T00:49:07+00:00

IT' actually really simple if You have vista or windows 7. Just in start search bar write "mobility" and look in search results for " Windows mobility center". A window will open. find Fuction key in that and select "Function Key" instead of "multimedia"(or any thing else) and that's it.

  THIS LOCKED MY F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 AND SO ON KEYS. I GOT THIS FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE FROM SOMEONE ELSE THIS SHOULD HELP YOU NIGTHER SMITTER

Was this answer helpful?

80+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

49 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2010-07-22T05:48:04+00:00

    I thought that F1 has always opened help, since the days of Windows 3.1 over 15 years ago...

    ...are you saying you have a program that uses F1 for something else, and that program stopped working now that you're using it with Windows 7?  If so, try running the program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (or 98, 2000, or XP) and see if it behaves properly.

    Windows doesn't control this, by the way:  The F keys do whatever the program wants them to do.  For example, F12 does absolutely nothing in most programs, but if you're using Office, that opens the Save box.  Same with all the other keys.  For example, F5 refreshes most web browsers, but it's used for something entirely different when you're in iTunes.

    Windows 7 didn't cause the behavior you see, it's been this way for decades.


    If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!

    I play a game on addictinggames.com called invasion 3 and the F1 button send out the infantry or at least it should but when I press the button the damn help window pops up and I have found ways around it but lately all that happens is the window pops up. I want to get rid of the help window because if I want windows help I can use the internet to ask for help. Why must the F1 button be wasted on something I can do without the F1 button? I like windowslivebogus want to get the F1 button to be just a normal button like the g button or the t button. If anyone knows of a way to make it a normal useful button please tell us how.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. @CmdrKeene 90,631 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2009-12-30T20:43:01+00:00

    I thought that F1 has always opened help, since the days of Windows 3.1 over 15 years ago...

    ...are you saying you have a program that uses F1 for something else, and that program stopped working now that you're using it with Windows 7?  If so, try running the program in compatibility mode for Windows Vista (or 98, 2000, or XP) and see if it behaves properly.

    Windows doesn't control this, by the way:  The F keys do whatever the program wants them to do.  For example, F12 does absolutely nothing in most programs, but if you're using Office, that opens the Save box.  Same with all the other keys.  For example, F5 refreshes most web browsers, but it's used for something entirely different when you're in iTunes.

    Windows 7 didn't cause the behavior you see, it's been this way for decades.


    If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-12-30T20:32:34+00:00

    I am looking to disable the window help function as well.  I have a program that I have used everyday since 1994 that has always used the F1 to perform the same function.  Now when I hit F1 the windows help pops up and I cant get around it to the intended function.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    TT

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more