Cannot Backup error 0x81000019. Cannot create shadow copy...

Anonymous
2009-11-21T02:13:45+00:00

I can no longer create backups to my computer. Everytime I try, I receive the same error message.

"A shadow copy could not be created. Pleasse check 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information.

Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data." Error code: 0x81000019

I know that it says that there isn't enough space, but that isn't likely. This is a fairly new computer, less than a month old, and the hard drive I'm backing up to has plenty of storage space left (800+ Gb).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-21T20:58:55+00:00

When you backup files on a Windows 7 computer you may receive error 0x81000019 with an error message similar to the following:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check the 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information. Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data."

This error can happen because of having too many Windows language packs installed on your computer.

The cause is that the Backup process involves the system writer that reports files in the important applications installed on the machine. In the case where a large number of language packs is installed, the metadata file reported by this writer becomes huge in size and does not fit the 100 MB volume. This causes backup to fail since there is not enough space for the shadow copy creation. This is not something that you can check on to validate since this metadata file is created during backup and deleted at the end.

To resolve the issue, uninstall all of the unused language packs that are currently installed on your computer. You can do this by clicking Start, and then typing Lpksetup.exe in the Search box and then clicking Lpksetup.exe in the list of programs. Once the Language Pack installer starts, click Uninstall display languages. Uninstall the languages that you do not use, and then restart your computer and restart the backup.

Bobby

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-12T07:41:18+00:00

    Thank you by mistake my assistant update all language pack

    Thank you Again for help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-12-14T02:52:14+00:00

    In my case It happenned because of a "System partition" of 100mb that was generated by my windows install (pre-installed samsung laptop). This partition had only 37mb free while 50 MB is required. This partition essentially contains the boot information. They can be copied on the primary partition, which removes the need to backup this100mb  partition.

    Following the steps described in the following link, I solved my problem (takes about 15 mins to complete) and was able to do a system image.

    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-11-18T08:40:08+00:00

    THIS

    Try this (and the great little tool referred to) before any other suggestion

    Thanks Cosmin

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-09-16T02:39:55+00:00

    Thanks for your posting. God bless you.

    I was wrestling with this issue for over than 6 months now. I have followed many threads for this issue and did not find any of the remedies offered useful/practical, except yours, it worked for me.

    I have a PC that has a System partition of 100 MB (no drive letters) plus a 950 GB drive C: plus a 12.5 GB drive D:, all on one physical drive. This configuration came with the PC when I purchased it.

    I downloaded the FREE "Easeus Partition Master 9.1.0 Home Edition" from their web site (google it to find it), as was instructed by you, and installed it. Installation went very smooth and easy. Then I proceeded as follows (read the program's manual):

    1. I moved the beginning point of the C: partition to the right by the amount of 200 MB to make room for the System partition to claim it below.
    2. I moved the ending point of the System partition to the right by the same 200 MB.
    3. I Applied the changes.

    The Easeus program restarts the PC and on the next boot, it shrinked the C: partition by 200 MB and expanded the System partion by the same 200 MB. Then Windows 7 starts normally.

    I checked the whole procedure with Windows 7 "Disk Management" utility. The System partition was 300 MB now (100 MB original + 200 MB expansion). I noticed that during this procedure a drive letter had been assigned to my System partition, which I removed it while I was in "Disk Management" utility.

    Then I started the Backup, and WOLA, it worked seemingly perfectly. The whole Backup process took about 1 hour, as I was backing up on an external hard drive.

    Thanks for your posting.

    Was this answer helpful?

    6 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments