Cannot Backup error 0x81000019. Cannot create shadow copy...

Anonymous
2009-11-21T02:13:45+00:00

I can no longer create backups to my computer. Everytime I try, I receive the same error message.

"A shadow copy could not be created. Pleasse check 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information.

Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data." Error code: 0x81000019

I know that it says that there isn't enough space, but that isn't likely. This is a fairly new computer, less than a month old, and the hard drive I'm backing up to has plenty of storage space left (800+ Gb).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-21T20:58:55+00:00

When you backup files on a Windows 7 computer you may receive error 0x81000019 with an error message similar to the following:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check the 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information. Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data."

This error can happen because of having too many Windows language packs installed on your computer.

The cause is that the Backup process involves the system writer that reports files in the important applications installed on the machine. In the case where a large number of language packs is installed, the metadata file reported by this writer becomes huge in size and does not fit the 100 MB volume. This causes backup to fail since there is not enough space for the shadow copy creation. This is not something that you can check on to validate since this metadata file is created during backup and deleted at the end.

To resolve the issue, uninstall all of the unused language packs that are currently installed on your computer. You can do this by clicking Start, and then typing Lpksetup.exe in the Search box and then clicking Lpksetup.exe in the list of programs. Once the Language Pack installer starts, click Uninstall display languages. Uninstall the languages that you do not use, and then restart your computer and restart the backup.

Bobby

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-30T20:59:11+00:00

    WRONG!!!!! only one language is on my system that's the one I use! How about a RIGHT answer!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2013-10-04T17:37:51+00:00

    I hope this will help you, and it will take you only a few minutes to do it.

    The problem is that the system reserved drive is being hidden, so it will be failed to run Windows backup.

    Whatever you tried, it didn't work if the drive is being hidden; and at the time being I haven't found any solution from Microsoft either.

    (Since I remembered that before my system reserved partition was being hidden <I did it on purpose>, I managed to run Windows backup smoothly but i encountered this problem after it being hidden)

    So I did this to solve the problem:

    I ran MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition to UnHide the system reserved partition.

    So, please do as above ie. Open MiniTool (download/install it free) then right click the System Reserved drive (ie. the drive with 100Mb capacity; so no need to expand the capacity anyway... ), then choose to Modify its current state into UnHide Partition.

    Apply the changes and close MiniTool.

    Open the Windows 7 File Recovery (Windows backup) and Run Backup.

    That's it. I hope the problem is solved by now.

    Thx.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-08-23T03:45:11+00:00

    Had the same issue above, seems the journel file had gotten too large on my RECOVERY drive (HP's name for it).   I used this command line and it cleared the journel file, then the backup could create the shadow copy and make a full backup.

     

    fsutil usn deletejournal /N /D D:  (HP used D: drive for the recovery info and spare space, you will need to change "D:" to the correct drive on your PC)

     

    LB...

     Having tried many other suggestions on this and other threads, this is the one that works.

    On my system the BootSector is an NTFS partition that has no drive letter. I assigned it a drive letter (D: in my case) using the storage manager, ran the fsutil command above. I immediately noticed that the available space on  the drive went from 39MB to 77MB. After this remove the drive letter from the BootSector and backup runs with no issues.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments