Cannot Backup error 0x81000019. Cannot create shadow copy...

Anonymous
2009-11-21T02:13:45+00:00

I can no longer create backups to my computer. Everytime I try, I receive the same error message.

"A shadow copy could not be created. Pleasse check 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information.

Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data." Error code: 0x81000019

I know that it says that there isn't enough space, but that isn't likely. This is a fairly new computer, less than a month old, and the hard drive I'm backing up to has plenty of storage space left (800+ Gb).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-21T20:58:55+00:00

When you backup files on a Windows 7 computer you may receive error 0x81000019 with an error message similar to the following:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check the 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information. Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data."

This error can happen because of having too many Windows language packs installed on your computer.

The cause is that the Backup process involves the system writer that reports files in the important applications installed on the machine. In the case where a large number of language packs is installed, the metadata file reported by this writer becomes huge in size and does not fit the 100 MB volume. This causes backup to fail since there is not enough space for the shadow copy creation. This is not something that you can check on to validate since this metadata file is created during backup and deleted at the end.

To resolve the issue, uninstall all of the unused language packs that are currently installed on your computer. You can do this by clicking Start, and then typing Lpksetup.exe in the Search box and then clicking Lpksetup.exe in the list of programs. Once the Language Pack installer starts, click Uninstall display languages. Uninstall the languages that you do not use, and then restart your computer and restart the backup.

Bobby

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-07-07T01:35:38+00:00

    When you backup files on a Windows 7 computer you may receive error 0x81000019 with an error message similar to the following:

    "A shadow copy could not be created. Please check the 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information. Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data."

    This error can happen because of having too many Windows language packs installed on your computer.

    The cause is that the Backup process involves the system writer that reports files in the important applications installed on the machine. In the case where a large number of language packs is installed, the metadata file reported by this writer becomes huge in size and does not fit the 100 MB volume. This causes backup to fail since there is not enough space for the shadow copy creation. This is not something that you can check on to validate since this metadata file is created during backup and deleted at the end.

    To resolve the issue, uninstall all of the unused language packs that are currently installed on your computer. You can do this by clicking Start, and then typing Lpksetup.exe in the Search box and then clicking Lpksetup.exe in the list of programs. Once the Language Pack installer starts, click Uninstall display languages. Uninstall the languages that you do not use, and then restart your computer and restart the backup.

    Bobby

    Thanks Bobby, worked for me.

    cookeydownunder.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2016-07-04T07:21:29+00:00

    This isn't the case for me as I only have one language pack installed. Not sure what the issue is here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2016-05-12T04:47:16+00:00

    Cosmin - Your solution works, thanks so much.  I had the same problem as Glink.  To fix it as you suggested I used Partition Commander instead of Easeus (already had Commander installed).

    I have a 240Gb SSD for bootup, system & programs, 2Tb HD for data and a 2Tb external HD for backup.  Basckup worked fine for a year. Then one day Windows7 unceremoniously stopped backing up to it.  I emptied it and left one backup folder.  I checked, and as you said, the SSD had a 100Mb "Local Disk (*)" on it plus the familiar "Local Disk (C:)." There was a small, empty  segment before the (*) drive and the rest of the SSD after it as (C:) drive.

    Using Commander, I shrunk the (C): partition by 300Mb (took 1 hour) and parked it at the far end of the HD.  That left space between it and the (*) drive.  So then I expanded (*) drive by 300Mb (took 2 minutes) and filled up the empty space with it.

    Bingo. Windows backup started working.

    Great solution, thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-05-07T09:35:01+00:00

    I only have english on the file - next suggestion please - I'm not a geek and cannot understand these forums that Why doesn't Microsoft give me the answer.?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments