Cannot Backup error 0x81000019. Cannot create shadow copy...

Anonymous
2009-11-21T02:13:45+00:00

I can no longer create backups to my computer. Everytime I try, I receive the same error message.

"A shadow copy could not be created. Pleasse check 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information.

Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data." Error code: 0x81000019

I know that it says that there isn't enough space, but that isn't likely. This is a fairly new computer, less than a month old, and the hard drive I'm backing up to has plenty of storage space left (800+ Gb).

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2011-03-21T20:58:55+00:00

When you backup files on a Windows 7 computer you may receive error 0x81000019 with an error message similar to the following:

"A shadow copy could not be created. Please check the 'VSS' and 'SPP' application event logs for more information. Details: Insufficient storage available to create either the shadow copy storage file or other shadow copy data."

This error can happen because of having too many Windows language packs installed on your computer.

The cause is that the Backup process involves the system writer that reports files in the important applications installed on the machine. In the case where a large number of language packs is installed, the metadata file reported by this writer becomes huge in size and does not fit the 100 MB volume. This causes backup to fail since there is not enough space for the shadow copy creation. This is not something that you can check on to validate since this metadata file is created during backup and deleted at the end.

To resolve the issue, uninstall all of the unused language packs that are currently installed on your computer. You can do this by clicking Start, and then typing Lpksetup.exe in the Search box and then clicking Lpksetup.exe in the list of programs. Once the Language Pack installer starts, click Uninstall display languages. Uninstall the languages that you do not use, and then restart your computer and restart the backup.

Bobby

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2009-11-21T23:33:39+00:00

    I checked both of those out, but they didn't solve my problem. The drive I'm using is a 1Tb NTFS external drive, connected by USB. Can you create backups on a protected drive. I had previously done backups on that drive, but after I upgraded to ultimate, I used the BitLocker drive encryption on that drive. Might that have something to do with it?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Ramesh 181.9K Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2009-11-21T14:46:15+00:00

    Hi Glink,

    See if this applies.

    Error code 0x81000019 backing up on external usb drive:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/cd6196d5-c3ff-4ef5-9aa7-b39b2245a5e7/

    -and-

    windows 7 backup error "shadow copy could not be created":

    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7repair/thread/a49510e3-b3ae-4f61-a742-59c95d3e156d


    Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Desktop Experience]

    Was this answer helpful?

    4 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments