Please can you help me - I have an old programmes called Quicken 98 and my new windows 7 laptop won't let me load it on - how can I get this programme on my machine?

Anonymous
2010-01-14T21:21:45+00:00

Please can you help me - I have Quicken 98 and it won't load on my new Windows 7 laptop - I realise its a very old programme - but it is brilliant and I use it every day - I have the data stored on an external drive - I really need help with this please

ps My cassells dictionery disc won't load either - why do's this happen when the systems change - it really isn't fair

thank with kind regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-15T16:19:14+00:00

Today, 64-bit processors have become the standard for systems ranging from the most scalable servers to desktop PCs. The way to take full advantage of these systems is with 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows products.

The 64-bit systems offer direct access to more virtual and physical memory than 32-bit systems and process more data per clock cycle, enabling more scalable, higher performing computing solutions. There are two 64-bit Windows platforms: x64-based and Itanium-based.

x64 solutions are the direct descendants of x86 32-bit products, and are the natural choice for most server application deployments—small or large. Itanium-based systems offer alternative system designs and a processor architecture best suited to extremely large database and custom application solutions.

64 bit is a way of manipulating data and if something is currently 16 bit there is no way for you to upgrade them to 64. That is the job of the author of the product. You will have to contact them.


Frenchie

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-02-27T15:21:49+00:00

    Update: I've got Quicken98 working natively under Win7 64-bit:  the autorun installer appears to be 16-bit (or at least has an issue running, and just bombs out) - but as mentioned by Mogojohn, the CD contains both 16-bit and 32-bit installers separately, in folders on the install CD called "Win31" and "Win95" accordingly; so what worked for me was to navigate to the "Win95" directory, and run the "setup.exe" found in there. One other thing: Quicken, by default, installs it's application files in "C:\quickenw" - so suggest you choose a "custom install", and change the destination folder from "C:\quickenw" to "C:\progra~2\quickenw" (the "progra~2" being the DOS name for "Program Files (x86)", the correct program files folder for 32-bit applications under 64-bit Win7) - and also uncheck "install IE 3" and "install IE4"......

    Hope that helps.

    P.

    27 Feb 2011 - thank you very much for the above solution.  It works well for those of us who have experience as a computer user, but not a computer professional.  I bought a laptop last autumn, and have been hoping to transfer Quicken 98 to it ever since, as the old machine is slow and clunky now.  I had already succeeded many years ago in transferring it from our first desktop to the replacement and thought it would be a cinch.

    The only niggle is that Quicken 98 is set to make backups to Floppy Disks (!!!) which are no longer on PCs, of course.  So it is fiddly to find the data file and move it to a new machine.  I succeeded by copying the whole folder to an external hard drive and then using that to update the file on the new machine.  Good luck to anyone else who finds this thread.  It is, indeed, a great answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-02-27T19:26:56+00:00

    The current Quicken version is 2011. It is 13 versions newer than Quicken 98. There isn't necessarily a lot of differences and improvements from one year to the next, but there is a lot that's been improved in 13 versions. And some of the Quicken online features won't work in such an old version.

    Quicken is not an expensive program. I recommend that you bite the bullet and buy the new version. That will solve your immediate problem and give you lots of improvements.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-04-06T08:46:57+00:00

    Hi there, from the above very helpful solution I can get the Quicken 98 program to load thru W7 now, great, BUT, I try to Register and the 0800 phone number is dead and going the Internet route, the Registration program doesn't find my ISP provider. Ok so it tells me I can use the program for another 12 times.

    When I press File, a warning message pops up and tells me 'You're about to enter data in a Quicken file. If you want to handle your own data, you should be creating a new file'. Problem here is that I cannot click out of the 'error message' and either have to delete the Quicken program thru the Task Manager or Control Panel.

    I got so frustrated that I was prepered to buy a new Quicken program, but it is not available in the UK and in the Quicken web site you can only pay/download if you have a US/Canada address.

    Hope you can help. Frustrated of UK

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-04-29T16:17:34+00:00

    quicken deluxe version 6 didn't! quicken 'year 2000 solution' (based on Q 98 deluxe) Brilliant! enter files.  enter win95. enter setup - click setup.exe. close all progs. and ignore when it says 'not set-up properly' - it lies!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments