Please can you help me - I have an old programmes called Quicken 98 and my new windows 7 laptop won't let me load it on - how can I get this programme on my machine?

Anonymous
2010-01-14T21:21:45+00:00

Please can you help me - I have Quicken 98 and it won't load on my new Windows 7 laptop - I realise its a very old programme - but it is brilliant and I use it every day - I have the data stored on an external drive - I really need help with this please

ps My cassells dictionery disc won't load either - why do's this happen when the systems change - it really isn't fair

thank with kind regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-15T16:19:14+00:00

Today, 64-bit processors have become the standard for systems ranging from the most scalable servers to desktop PCs. The way to take full advantage of these systems is with 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows products.

The 64-bit systems offer direct access to more virtual and physical memory than 32-bit systems and process more data per clock cycle, enabling more scalable, higher performing computing solutions. There are two 64-bit Windows platforms: x64-based and Itanium-based.

x64 solutions are the direct descendants of x86 32-bit products, and are the natural choice for most server application deployments—small or large. Itanium-based systems offer alternative system designs and a processor architecture best suited to extremely large database and custom application solutions.

64 bit is a way of manipulating data and if something is currently 16 bit there is no way for you to upgrade them to 64. That is the job of the author of the product. You will have to contact them.


Frenchie

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2011-11-15T22:18:55+00:00

    I have been running my Quicken Deluxe 98 on my Packard Bell PC and it has worked exremely well.  I recently purchased a Dell Laptop (Inspiron 15R) wondered (like you), whether I was going to be able to use it anymore.

    But I am pleased to say that it is running like a dream!  What I did was to transfer the application (I no longer have

    the Q98 disc) to a flash drive.  The I plugged in the flash drive to my laptop and that was that!  I am thrilled to be able to effortly continue to use it.  

    Only one drawback, though - it will not run a printer from it. Porbably the fault is trivial and somebody will tell me how to overcome it!

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2011-11-03T22:41:23+00:00

    Hi Cheeky question I am also using quicken 98 deluxe version on win7 64bit and now wroking fine...but since hard drive crashed and had to re install quicken i have lost registration key and cant find anywhere...dont suppose you have any ideas where to get one from??? many thanks eddy (******@thelwall.co.uk)

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-08-09T14:39:45+00:00

    Update: I've got Quicken98 working natively under Win7 64-bit:  the autorun installer appears to be 16-bit (or at least has an issue running, and just bombs out) - but as mentioned by Mogojohn, the CD contains both 16-bit and 32-bit installers separately, in folders on the install CD called "Win31" and "Win95" accordingly; so what worked for me was to navigate to the "Win95" directory, and run the "setup.exe" found in there. One other thing: Quicken, by default, installs it's application files in "C:\quickenw" - so suggest you choose a "custom install", and change the destination folder from "C:\quickenw" to "C:\progra~2\quickenw" (the "progra~2" being the DOS name for "Program Files (x86)", the correct program files folder for 32-bit applications under 64-bit Win7) - and also uncheck "install IE 3" and "install IE4"......

    Hope that helps.

    P.

    Thank you very much for this solution. I too have been unable to use Quicken98 on Windows 7 and was wondering what to do with 12 years of accounts data ... until now! Brilliant. Using the 32-bit installer did the trick.

    I have the same problem with disappearing taskbar buttons that someone else mentioned, but this is a v minor difficulty (they re-appear after clicking on the bar). As for the problems with backing up - I use an elderly USB stick (USB1, 512MB) which Quicken recognizes without any problems. It won't recognize any of my newer sticks.

    Thanks again.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-06-12T14:15:32+00:00

    I recently used the helpful advice in this forum to set up Q98 in W7 64-bit and I'm so grateful. But I just noticed PaulVernon's posting of April 6 remains unanswered so I wonder if you got past the registration problem. I have reinstalled Quicken several times over the years and the solution, where there's no longer any online access (or a  helpine), as in the UK, is to choose "by telephone" and use the 16-digit number you used before. Now I don't know where I got that 16-digit code from because it's not on the packaging, so I imagine I may have been given it at a time when there was online access or support. Anyway, hope you've got one to try.

    I then bypass all the setup wizardry and do a File>Restore Backup using the Qdata file from the previous installation.

    (Yes, no one outside the UK understands that nothing has ever bettered Quicken for home accounts, and it's so frustrating that it's been withdrawn from the market. I've tried several alternatives and they just don't cut the mustard.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments