Please can you help me - I have an old programmes called Quicken 98 and my new windows 7 laptop won't let me load it on - how can I get this programme on my machine?

Anonymous
2010-01-14T21:21:45+00:00

Please can you help me - I have Quicken 98 and it won't load on my new Windows 7 laptop - I realise its a very old programme - but it is brilliant and I use it every day - I have the data stored on an external drive - I really need help with this please

ps My cassells dictionery disc won't load either - why do's this happen when the systems change - it really isn't fair

thank with kind regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-15T16:19:14+00:00

Today, 64-bit processors have become the standard for systems ranging from the most scalable servers to desktop PCs. The way to take full advantage of these systems is with 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows products.

The 64-bit systems offer direct access to more virtual and physical memory than 32-bit systems and process more data per clock cycle, enabling more scalable, higher performing computing solutions. There are two 64-bit Windows platforms: x64-based and Itanium-based.

x64 solutions are the direct descendants of x86 32-bit products, and are the natural choice for most server application deployments—small or large. Itanium-based systems offer alternative system designs and a processor architecture best suited to extremely large database and custom application solutions.

64 bit is a way of manipulating data and if something is currently 16 bit there is no way for you to upgrade them to 64. That is the job of the author of the product. You will have to contact them.


Frenchie

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-11-10T22:45:32+00:00

    Glad to be of help, Stephen. And glad, too, that this thread is still proving useful after all this time!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-11-10T22:10:38+00:00

    Voila! The mention of the 16-digit registration code prompted me to go hunting and eventually found it. Problem solved, no more registration window.

    Thanks.

    For anybody in same boat in UK that doesn't have your original registration code, I don't think the QWREMIND.INI file is where it is stored.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-11-09T17:57:19+00:00

    I am using Quicken Deluxe 98 (UK) on Windows 7 and also having a problem with the

    registration window that pops up a startup. Trying to register via broadband fails and

    the numbers given to do via telephone support are no longer valid.

    I am down to 3 attempts left!

    Would really like to keep on using and tried these steps but unfotunately doesn't work for me:

    1. moved the files QWREMIND.INI and qwrmdnd.dll to a temporary folder
    2. attempted to open Quicken Program, but would not open -said it could not find qwrmdnd.dll
    3. moved qwrmdnd.dll back to the original folder (QUICKENW folder)
    4. opened program
    5. closed program
    6. moved QWREMIND.INI back to the original folder (QUICKENW folder)

    The QWREMIND.INI file is just a text file and I am guessing one of the settings need tweaked or a new setting added to stop the registration popping up.

    Could anybody successfully using Quicken Deluxe 98 open their QWREMIND.INI file with Textpad or Wordpad and share what they have. Here is what is in my one:

    [Files]

    1=C:\QUICKENW<filename>.QDF

    [C:\QUICKENW<filename>.QDF]

    HasPwd=1

    ShowTx=3

    ShowChk=3

    ShowEPmt=3

    ShowInv=3

    ShowNotes=3

    ShowNotes=3

    ShowAlert=3

    NoteRange=1

    Here's hoping...

    Stephen

    Hi, Stephen. I'm in the UK, too, where the struggle to keep Quicken going seems to be tougher. As you'll see from my posting above, I got lucky and found I had a 16-digit registration code written down from some helpline conversation prior to obtaining the Year 200 Solution disk. Following the procedure for telephone registration led to my inputting that code and it all worked. It sounds as though you've got well beyond that point, but I'm afraid I can't help you with the contents of my qwremind.ini folder because I don't seem to have one.

    All I can do, though, is tell you that, fearing one day Quicken won't install, maybe when I'm forced to move to Windows 8, I have recently tried out Microsoft Money Plus, which is available free if unsupported now that MS Money is no longer on sale. I have to say it seems pretty good, and even tries to import .qif files from Quicken. (In my case it failed and I had to import them manually, having overcome the problem of the date format.) You can download from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/search.aspx?q=sunset+money

    I feel like a traitor, on a Quicken forum albeit one hosted by Microsoft - suggesting as a final resort you might have to abandon what we all agree has been a wonderfully intuitive programme to use. Luckily, I'm still able to use Quicken, but Money Plus runs in the background as a sort of backup.

    Post again if you want any further information about my Quicken installation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-09T13:25:01+00:00

    I am using Quicken Deluxe 98 (UK) on Windows 7 and also having a problem with the

    registration window that pops up a startup. Trying to register via broadband fails and

    the numbers given to do via telephone support are no longer valid.

    I am down to 3 attempts left!

    Would really like to keep on using and tried these steps but unfotunately doesn't work for me:

    1. moved the files QWREMIND.INI and qwrmdnd.dll to a temporary folder
    2. attempted to open Quicken Program, but would not open -said it could not find qwrmdnd.dll
    3. moved qwrmdnd.dll back to the original folder (QUICKENW folder)
    4. opened program
    5. closed program
    6. moved QWREMIND.INI back to the original folder (QUICKENW folder)

    The QWREMIND.INI file is just a text file and I am guessing one of the settings need tweaked or a new setting added to stop the registration popping up.

    Could anybody successfully using Quicken Deluxe 98 open their QWREMIND.INI file with Textpad or Wordpad and share what they have. Here is what is in my one:

    [Files]

    1=C:\QUICKENW<filename>.QDF

    [C:\QUICKENW<filename>.QDF]

    HasPwd=1

    ShowTx=3

    ShowChk=3

    ShowEPmt=3

    ShowInv=3

    ShowNotes=3

    ShowNotes=3

    ShowAlert=3

    NoteRange=1

    Here's hoping...

    Stephen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments