Please can you help me - I have an old programmes called Quicken 98 and my new windows 7 laptop won't let me load it on - how can I get this programme on my machine?

Anonymous
2010-01-14T21:21:45+00:00

Please can you help me - I have Quicken 98 and it won't load on my new Windows 7 laptop - I realise its a very old programme - but it is brilliant and I use it every day - I have the data stored on an external drive - I really need help with this please

ps My cassells dictionery disc won't load either - why do's this happen when the systems change - it really isn't fair

thank with kind regards

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-01-15T16:19:14+00:00

Today, 64-bit processors have become the standard for systems ranging from the most scalable servers to desktop PCs. The way to take full advantage of these systems is with 64-bit editions of Microsoft Windows products.

The 64-bit systems offer direct access to more virtual and physical memory than 32-bit systems and process more data per clock cycle, enabling more scalable, higher performing computing solutions. There are two 64-bit Windows platforms: x64-based and Itanium-based.

x64 solutions are the direct descendants of x86 32-bit products, and are the natural choice for most server application deployments—small or large. Itanium-based systems offer alternative system designs and a processor architecture best suited to extremely large database and custom application solutions.

64 bit is a way of manipulating data and if something is currently 16 bit there is no way for you to upgrade them to 64. That is the job of the author of the product. You will have to contact them.


Frenchie

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-01-21T21:15:25+00:00

    Mushroom Man's procedure sounds much more complicated than the one I used. I offer it here in case it helps any of the outstanding queries. I used it to install Quicken 98 on to a 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium PC. It may or may not have been critical that I had a "Year 2000 Solution" disc supplied by Intuit and a 16-digit registration code supplied at some interim stage by a telephone helpline that no longer exists. If you have these two things, try my process.

    The 16-bit version of Quicken won't run on a 64-bit OS, and the Autorun version on the “Year 2000 Solution” disc is 16-bit. However, there is a 32-bit .exe file on the disc. Open its contents and look for the Win95 folder (the Win31 folder contains the 16-bit version). Open Win95 and double-click on “setup.exe”; choose Custom installation.

    The default destination folder for the installation is C:\quickenw, which has to be changed to C:\progra˜2\quickenw\ (progra˜2 should have the tilde at mid-height and is the DOS name for Program Files (x86), the correct folder for 32-bit applications in 64-bit Windows). Also, uncheck “install IE3” and check “install IE4” instead. Finally, when Windows tells you the programme is “not set up properly”, cancel this message; it's a lie.

    As for registering the product, I think the instructions on the disc are still valid; choose telephone registration and input the 16-digit code.

    Good luck.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-01-21T12:22:21+00:00

    right click on the setup. exe file use properties then choose compatibility mode. choose the windows version, run the serup again. 98 based program may be too old to use.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2011-12-18T17:45:17+00:00

    I have just come across and used your solution (thanks for that) which has enabled me to install the programme and it will open and run the 4 club accounts I manage but will not open my home accounts. When I try to open my home account I eventually get a message ' Quicken Executable has stopped working' The only difference I can see is the size of the account files - the home account is now 7.61MB as it has 13 years of data, the other accounts are 538kb, 385kb, 173Kb and 341kb - all worked very well on my XP computer. Does anyone have a solution to this problem as I now appear so near to be able to continue using this great accounting programme?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2011-11-19T20:10:57+00:00

    I am pleased to say that it is running like a dream!  What I did was to transfer the application (I no longer have the Q98 disc) to a flash drive.  Then I plugged in the flash drive to my laptop and that was that!  I am thrilled to be able to effortly continue to use it.  

    That would be really great if I could use Quicken 98 on my laptop, too. Sorry to be dense, but what does "transferring the application to a flash drive" involve? Did you simply copy the quickenw folder out of Program Files (x86)? And then do you simply run the programme off the flash drive? Can it really be that simple?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments