How do I change folder icon (Windows 7) if there is no customize tab?

Anonymous
2009-12-18T14:51:46+00:00

original title:  Change folder icon (Windows 7)

I want to be able to customize the icon for a folder. When I right click the folder and select Properties, there is no Customize tab (as in Vista) to select an image to represent the folder.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2010-04-08T18:43:05+00:00

Hi.  I believe the problem is that you are in "Documents Library" view, rather than the actual "Folder Location"

  1. Right-click the folder you want to change the icon of
  2. Select "Open Folder Location"... it's just above "properties"
  3. Once you are in the "Folder Location", right-click the folder again that you want to change
  4. Select "Properties" at the bottom
  5. Select "Customize"... the far right tab
  6. the "Change Icon" button is at the bottom

[Note: For the changed icon to show up in the "Library" view also, you may need to close and re-open file explorer]

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-18T21:24:33+00:00

Perhaps you tried on a Library rather than on a folder? Try on an ordinary folder and you should find the Customize tab.


If you find my answer was what you were looking for, please remember to click the "Propose as answer" link below. If you find it helpful, please mark it with 'Vote As Helpful'.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-29T15:48:18+00:00

Laurie_g,

Highlight or single click on the folder > click file > open folder location > right click properties > the “customize” tab should be available now.

I hope that helps!


Lisa

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

52 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-02-22T19:34:34+00:00

    Can we take this one more step?

    I would like to know how to set what is show in the folders view. Such as when file was created, when it was modified, to organize folders or subfolders by date, not by letter, to keep date of when file was created, but also to list when it was modified as i mentioned above, but for some reason, it will default to last time you opened the folder. I like to keep this date set, and only to show any additional opening or adding to folder, as a modified, etc.

    I cannot find any options to do this, as it was very easy to do in XP. I would appreciate all help.

    Along the same line that this post is headed, how can you open one folder, say for instance in one folder, and be able to drag and drop into another folder on the other side of window, as again, in Windows XP? It seems that the left side of screen, or view, is defaulted to a set view with Favorites, Libraries, Homegroup, Computer. I like the old view of Desktop, My Computer, and all folders in C drive. Is this possible to rearrange to view in this manner or not, as I do not like the view it has as default. I also have no idea how to change this, and I agree, the Libraries is a little confusing.

    thanks in advance, as I have not been using Windowns 7 that long, and have gotten so used to XP folder views and how to customize them. Not so much the icon change, but view and arrangement decision. NOt much I see to do with this.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-04T13:06:02+00:00

    Hi.  I believe the problem is that you are in "Documents Library" view, rather than the actual "Folder Location"

    1. Right-click the folder you want to change the icon of
    2. Select "Open Folder Location"... it's just above "properties"
    3. Once you are in the "Folder Location", right-click the folder again that you want to change
    4. Select "Properties" at the bottom
    5. Select "Customize"... the far right tab
    6. the "Change Icon" button is at the bottom

    [Note: For the changed icon to show up in the "Library" view also, you may need to close and re-open file explorer]

    Hope this helps.

    This does not work. No matter which view I'm using or how I enter the folders (ie through library or windows explorer). I have tried turning off "ready only" check box as well.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments